[Vision2020] Re: Robin Hood

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 12:51:33 PST 2005

Dear Dave,

I must advise you, my boy, not to teach your grandmother to suck eggs.  I'm a fully-trained Anglo-Saxonist (a graduate student of the eminent Nicholas Howe, no less) and am hence well aware of the lack of corporations in early medieval England; I used the term "corporate" analogously, humorously, sarcastically, and with its original meaning of "group" firmly in mind.
The Magna Carta had many fathers, not the least of which was King John’s managerial incompetence.  As you may know, John was excommunicated by the Church in 1209 in a dispute over the appointment of the Archbishop of Canterbury, and -- in a move that predated Henry VIII’s antics by a good three centuries -- John took this opportunity to confiscate Church property and sell it back to the bishops at a tidy profit.
John used the proceeds of these "sales" to create the English Navy, which he promptly ordered to invade Ireland (much to England and Ireland's present sorrow).  He fought a few more skirmishes with the French, none of which particularly stand out in my memory, and, after an unsuccessful and expensive excursion on the continent, he came back to find a few very naughty barons in revolt.  The leader of these was a nasty bloke called FitzWalter.
Now, I suppose we could bore everyone sick by talking about the Lusignan affair or the wicked doings of Henry II's hard-assed Angevin regime, but the most interesting thing about the Magna Carta is that after its signing, it lasted all of three months.  The rebel barons refused to surrender London as they'd promised to do at Runnymede, but John managed to work himself into a position to force them to concede.  And so, out the window went the vast bulk of the Magna Carta.
So, what was the Magna Carta all about and why is it still important?  Because of what it later became.  It initially guaranteed the rights of the Church, and then went on to concentrate on curbing the king's abuse of feudal custom: it limited so-called relief payments and scutages and banned some of the abuses unscrupulous guardians had been able to exercise over their wards.  But what interests people today about the Magna Carta was the piece that was least important to King John and the rebel barons:  the recognition that there was such a thing as English Common Law.
Thus endeth the history lesson.  (And thank God for that sigh voices all over the Palouse.)
On, however, to your point C: I heard on NPR yesterday that some 50% of Americans are now invested in the stock market.  Having lost the bulk of my own retirement in said market shortly after Mr. Bush took office, I find this alarming.  If I'd taken that money down to Vegas and put on Black #9, I might have gotten exactly the same result as I got with Global Crossing, but at least I'd have had the consolation of a free gin & tonic from a scantily-clad barmaid.  Now, all I get are empty letters from Charles Schwab & Co.  Nothing sexy there.
You speak briefly, Dave, of egregiously high CEO salaries and add that you don't have time to address this issue more fully at the moment.  I hope that you will make time as I'd like to hear what you have to say.  It seems to me that one of the reasons CEO salaries are so high -- and seem to bear so little relation to actual CEO performance -- is that corporate boards of directors are simply log-rolling operations.  CEOs serve on the boards that set the salaries for other CEOs, who in turn sit on the boards that set the salaries of the CEO members of their boards.  It's an endless circular big-money back scratch.
[Or, if I were still channeling the spirit of my grandfather, I'd call it a great big Mongolian Clusterf---.  But I'm not.  I'm being polite today  Getting ready, you see, for a visit from my mother.  Ironically, I can't talk like Ranny Watkins *and* kiss his daughter on the cheek with that mouth.  She won't stand for it.]
Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
PS: I have a difficult time with the concept that "stealing" from Norman barons was in fact stealing from "the government."  To me, government implies some kind of recognized legitimacy -- but then, I'm a democrat, both with a big "D" and a small "d."  I would say that Robin Hood's "stealing" was repatriating to the poor the ill-gotten gains of a corrupt dictatorship.  Unelected land-holders, who collected taxes from the workers, skimmed off the top, and then passed the rest on to the Church and the King do not constitute a legitimate government.
Which is why I say down with Saudi Arabia!  What the hell are we doing in bed with that feudal nightmare?  Tell us, George!  I dare you!