[Vision2020] The Red Flag

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Wed Feb 9 20:12:55 PST 2005

Visionaries,
In a recent blog Doug Wilson  referred to those who criticize his
understanding of the ante-bellum south  as members of  the "Secularist Crimson Jihad."  I
find myself  grateful once again for Doug's name calling repertoire.  One of
the most inspirations and dearly loved songs that I know is called "The Red
Flag" - which is, I suppose, exactly what Secularist Crimson Jihad members
would  carry.
The Red Flag a 100 year  + Irish Labor Song - is stupendous when performed by
Billy Bragg,  especially on his C.D. "The Internationale"  (06/01/1990)
Auntie E and Brother Carl are supposed to  play it after my sixty second slot
on their weekly show - but there has never  been enough time.  I furnish the
lyrics below - with the hope that my  sister and brother Intoleristas will
adopt it as our anthem - and that Doug, the  Dougsciples, and all the little
Douggles will come to know it  well.
Rose Huskey
"The Red Flag" by Jim  Connell
The people's flag is deepest red,
It shrouded oft our martyred dead,
And ere their limbs grew stiff and cold,
Their  hearts blood dyed its every fold.

Then raise the scarlet standard high.   (chorus)
Within its shade we'll live and die,
Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
We'll keep the red flag flying here.

It waved above  our infant might,
When all ahead seemed dark as  night;
It witnessed many a deed and vow,
We must not change its colour now.
It well recalls the triumphs past,
It gives the hope of peace at last;
The banner bright, the symbol plain,
Of human  right and human gain.
It suits today the weak and base,
Whose minds are fixed on pelf and place
To cringe before the rich man's frown,
And haul  the sacred emblem down.
With heads uncovered swear we all
To bear it onward till we fall;
Come  dungeons dark or gallows grim,
This song shall be our  parting hymn.

"One cannot  level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many  of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something  and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan