[Vision2020] evangelicals vs. fundamentalists

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 9 18:55:59 PST 2005

"I don't know where Mr. Arnold is living, but I'm pretty sure that's what
those first ten things in the constitution called the "bill of rights"
cover, among many other things.  You *can* be what you want to be, but
everyone else has the same freedom to bother you. And I'm glad we agree on
#2"
---Dan Carscallen

Well, first Dan, I am glad that we agree on the second amendment as well, I
am assuming that is what you mean by "#2".

Second, on a point of lesser concern, the "Bill of Rights" is not the first
thing in the Constitution, the Articles are, and are very important.

Now to the more important content. What is written in the Constitution does
not allow people to do what they want to do. See, we had this whole thing
called slavery, and it was backed by the Constitution, not prohibited. It
even went so far as to call these people only 3/5 of a person. Second, it
forbid women from voting, anyone under 21! And anyone that didn't own
property!. Third, we had all kinds of other laws, such as $20 for an indian
head paid by the State of California. We had Jim Crow laws that were still
on the books until the 1970's and are still practiced in some parts of
the"land of the free".

So the country I live in, the USA, has a long history of treating people
unfairly and practicing law that hurts people because they are different.
The USA still practices many forms of discrimination today against the
disabled, women, minorities, naturalized citizens, Gays, Lesbians, people of
minority faiths, and I sure about a million others I am forgetting.

Just because YOU don't experience discrimination, and nobody is preventing
YOU from doing as you  practice, does not mean we don't have a 500 year
history on this continent of people and laws that didn't, and still don't,
practice laws that are unfair to many and prevent them from practicing their
believes and values, values and believes that bring NO HARM to anyone else
other than their knowledge of their existence and practices are offensive to
some.

Good Day,

Donovan J Arnold