[Vision2020] evangelicals vs. fundamentalists

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Feb 8 21:36:19 PST 2005

It might be instructive to point out that, sociologically, the American
Christian spectrum has often been represented by a five-point scale.  Left
to right, conveniently, sociologists have often categorized American
Christiandom thusly:

"God is dead," Liberal, Mainstream, Evangelical, Fundamentalist

While Evangelicals hold to the seven fundamentals of the faith (elucidated,
I believe, by R.A. Torrey in the 1920s), they are characterized by their
willingness to engage with culture and individual nonbelievers in an attempt
to spread the Gospel, unlike classic fundamentalists, who are largely
suspicious of secular science and academia, modernism and cultural
engagement.  Billy Graham and Tony Campolo typify the mindset of the
Evangelical and Bob Jones and Jerry Falwell are correctly referred to as a
fundamentalists.  This scale doesn't, however, classify charismatics and
Pentecostals separately, as they generally find themselves in the
Evangelical tradition.

By the way, based on what I remember from my university career of
20-something years ago, the seven fundamentals are, in no particular order:
the deity of Christ, his atonement on the cross, his imminent and personal
return to the earth, the virgin birth, his physical resurrection from the
dead, the Godhead as Triune, and the sinfulness of humankind.  I may be
wrong on the last two -- Nick, any corrections?

And yes, to the chagrin of many and the encouragement of some, I am an
Evangelical . . . just one who's often mortified at the conduct of other
Evangelicals, but eternally impressed by Christ . . .

keely emerine mix