[Vision2020] Sua Sponte

Fiat Lux fiat_lx at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 14:40:25 PST 2005

Dearest Mother Kirk,

Be assured, mine eye is quite single.  I have no doubt
that the One who matters above all else sees and knows
whether I am filled with darkness or light.

I am unable to discern if your comments are meant to
be sincere or sarcastic.  Whatever the case, I comment
now because am concerned that folks not so familiar
with the scriptures as you seem to be may become
confused by what you have presented here.

All (the book of) the Law and (the book of) the
Prophets hang on not one, but two commandments
according to Jesus' interpretation of the Hebrew
scriptures.

I see you cite Matthew 22:36-40, only quoting part of
it.  I think it is essential to remember that here,
Jesus was making  reference to the Laws found in the
Torah of the Hebrew scriptures (or Pentateuch as it is
called in Christianity).

The first Law Jesus refers to is from Deuteronomy
6:4-5:
"Hear O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart,
all your soul and all your strength."

The second Law Jesus refers to is found in Leviticus
19: 18: "Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against
one of your people, but love your neighbor as
yourself.  I am the Lord."

Paraphrased a different way, "So in everything, do to
others what you would have them do to you, for this
sums up the Law and the Prophets."  Matthew 7:12  This
virtuous maxim is otherwise recognized as the Golden
Rule.

No zoning law written by man prompted Jesus' attack on
the money changers and merchants doing business in the
temple courts.  It was his zeal for the Law and shock
at the reprehensible behavior going on at God's holy
temple (during Passover no less) that got Jesus' ire
up.  His study of the Law and the Prophets is again
evident in Matthew 21:14 "It is written," he said to
them, "My house will be called a house of prayer, but
you are making it a den of robbers."  His disgust and
outrage was clearly moral (according to his
understanding of the Hebrew scriptures), not
municipal.

It is also worthy of note that the landmark referred
to in Deuteronomy 19:14 applies to actual property
ownership and the physical, stone markers that
designated the property boundaries.  I do not think
the issue with NSA can be likened to moving your
neighbor's landmark, unless NSA is not the real owner
of the building.

You mind your eye, and I'll mind mine.
Fiat Lux