[Vision2020] Angels GM Provides Large Amount for UI Endowment

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Feb 6 09:07:31 PST 2005

Greetings Vandals and Visionaires -

>From today's (February 6, 2005) Spokesman Review (Spokane, Washington).

Angels GM Stoneman provides large amount for UI endowment

Bill Stoneman, a University of Idaho alum, former major league baseball
pitcher and current vice president and general manager of the Los Angeles
Angels of Anaheim, and his wife are laying the foundation for a $75,000
scholarship endowment for physical education majors at UI.

Stoneman and his wife, Diane, have contributed $25,000 to the endowment and
have agreed to match up to another $25,000.

Students in the physical education, sport science and health association
have launched a campaign to raise funds to be matched.

"The university has played a huge part in everything in my life that
followed graduation. I hope that other Vandal alums feel the same way about
the university and will join me in giving something back," said Stoneman.

UI education dean Jeanne Christiansen said the Stonemans' "gift provides yet
another tool for attracting and retaining physical education majors at the
University of Idaho.

"It also gives our current students an opportunity to make a difference for
their fellow students and the department."

Stoneman earned a physical education degree from UI in 1966. While attending
school, he pitched for the Vandals baseball team and began his professional
career in 1966 in the Chicago Cubs' farm system. He played in the major
leagues with the Cubs, Montreal Expos and the California Angels. He pitched
two no-hitters and played on the 1972 National League All-Star team.

Stoneman, inducted into the UI Alumni Hall of Fame in 1998, is in his sixth
season as vice president and general manager of the Angels, who won the
World Series in 2002.

Take care,

UI '96

Work like you don't need the money.