[Vision2020] Lights, Poetry and Public Safety

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Feb 3 14:59:33 PST 2005

The issue is not having lights "off."   The issue is directing the lights more, so leakage is not so extreme, both up to the sky and beyond property lines.

It is not simply a "County" issue.  The City of Moscow is in the process of writing a more comprehensive light ordinance.  And ordinances can be written to require the new rules to apply to new construction, and grandfather the non-conforming until something needs to be replaced or for an extended period of time, as the Moscow ordinance attempts to do.

The lighting portion is a small part of a very large land use document in the County, and I couldn't agree more with you or Jeff or the others who are seeking additonal comment and input on a living, breathing, evolving ordinance that will most definitely affect the quality of life.

All I was suggesting is that it is not unreasonable to try to require the innovations in light containment that have become routinely available.  Lighting technology has progressed to the point where these are sound and reasonable requirements in many instances that will protect the rest of us from others' lights.  The better option in my mind is not to oppose an ordinance that attempts to address light leakage, or for that matter, smell leakage from a nearby hog feedlot or sound or dust leakage from a nearby rock crushing quarry, but to consider whether the restrictions are reasonable and feasible, and whether the imposition on neighbors from the use of one's property is something that should be tolerated, ameliorated or eliminated.

Bruce Livingston