[Vision2020] Anti-gay amendment killed in ID Senate

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Wed Feb 2 12:02:22 PST 2005

 From Betsy Russell's Spokesman Review blog.

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/boise/blog.asp

Mark Solomon

Marriage amendment killed in Senate

After an hour-and-a-half long debate before a packed gallery, the
Idaho Senate voted 21-14 in favor of an amendment to the Idaho
Constitution to ban gay marriage and civil unions - and that's not
enough to pass the measure, which needed a two-thirds vote, or 24
votes in the Senate, to pass. Idaho law already bans same-sex
marriage.

Sponsors said they'll be back. "Whether it'll come back this year or
next year, this will come back," said Sen. Gerry Sweet, R-Meridian.
"We'll try to convince three people of the merits of this bill."

But others said they hoped the measure was gone for good. "I think
we'll be happy to lay it to rest for now," said Rep. Nicole LeFavour,
D-Boise, Idaho's first openly gay lawmaker. "We did not start this."

Sen. Dick Compton, R-Coeur d'Alene, spoke out strongly in the debate.
He said he opposes same-sex marriage, but sees no need to change the
Constitution. "I'm convinced we have very strong laws on the books
right now, and there is no horde of people advocating alternate
lifestyles coming over the wall at us," he said after the vote. "I'd
given it an awful lot of thought. I think it's just one of those
divisive things.