[Vision2020] Other opinions

Pat Kraut pkraut at moscow.com
Tue Feb 1 21:08:58 PST 2005

"When I look at the ink on my finger - this is a mark of freedom... I didn't
think I would live long enough to see this moment." - Kassim Abood (During
the Iraqi elections voter's index fingers were dipped in indelible ink to
indicate they had voted, the terrorist gangs in Iraq threatened to behead
anyone found with the mark.)

"We had all kinds of feelings in our minds while we were on our way to the
ballot box except one feeling that never came to us, that was fear. We could
smell pride in the atmosphere this morning. Everyone we saw was holding up
his blue-tipped finger with broad smiles on the faces while walking out of
the center. I couldn't think of a scene more beautiful than that..." - Iraqi
Citizen

"I have been waiting for this day, I have been dreaming of this day to tell
my grandchildren that in the first election in the history of Iraq I was the
first woman to vote." - Lamaa Jamal Talabani

"This is democracy... This is the first day I feel freedom." - Karfia
Abbasi, Iraqi Citizen living in the so-called "triangle of death"

"My family and my children are very happy. The people should be united and
not be afraid. We were afraid for 35 years under the oppression of Saddam,
and today is our chance." - Muhanned Fadhil

Recent headlines concerning the war in Iraq have focused on the loss of
human lives, the ongoing insurgency, and the possibility of increased
terrorist activity leading up to the Iraqi elections. However, the elections
took place over the weekend, on schedule, and with limited disruptions.

Results of the voting will be revealed during the next 10 days as votes are
counted, those candidates elected to the 275-member transitional National
Assembly will choose a largely ceremonial president and two vice-presidents.
They, in turn, will pick a prime minister and a cabinet that must be
ratified by the assembly. The newly elected assembly, which will serve an
11-month term, must then begin the arduous task of drafting a constitution.
Iraqis will hold a national referendum in October to accept or reject the
constitution. If the document is approved, Iraqis will vote in December for
a permanent government under the constitution. If the document is rejected,
Iraqis will repeat the whole process, voting for a new transitional assembly
to draft a new constitution.

The old regime is gone. Saddam and members of the former government will be
prosecuted for genocide and crimes against humanity. In addition to war
crimes committed against the people of Iran and Kuwait, Saddam has been
accused of innumerable crimes against his own people. Including the killing
of thousands of Shia Muslims and the death of over 100,000 Kurds during the
Anfal campaign, in which Saddam employed the use of chemical weapons.
Reports have emerged of some 270 mass graves across Iraq, which are believed
to hold the remains of possibly tens of thousands of people. The graves are
sobering evidence of nearly 30 years of brutal oppression.

The time has come for a fresh start, although Iraq still has many challenges
to overcome. Insurgents remain a threat to the nation's stability and
disagreement among religious and political leaders could be a stumbling
block to further democratic reform. However, in the short time that has
passed since the beginning of the US-led occupation an unprecedented and
dramatic change has taken place in Iraq. Iraq has come further and
accomplished more in six months than Germany did in seven years or Japan did
in the nine years following World War II. Much more must be done before Iraq
becomes a truly democratic nation. There will be more terrorism, more
attempts to discredit the election, and more casualties. But Sunday brought
hope to many, hope that Iraq can indeed live freely and peacefully. It was,
without a doubt, a turning point in history.

Please continue to pray for the brave men and women, both military and
civilian, who are working to rebuild Iraq in the face of fierce criticism
and violent opposition.

"When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long
at the closed door that we do not see the one which has been opened for us."
Helen Keller