[Vision2020] Savings on Light Bulb Use

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Feb 1 08:26:36 PST 2005

Jeff, et al,

We purchase and use Feit Conserv-Energy bulbs which we purchase by the 4-pack at Costco for about 1/3 of the cost of similar items at WalMart and other area stores.  Doing this, each bulb costs about $1.50.

Comparison:

      Type
     Lumens
     Energy Used
     Average Life

      Ordinary Bulb
     1690
     100 Watts
     750 Hours

      Conserv-Energy
     1600
     23 Watts
     10,000 Hours

The Conserv-Energy bulbs use less than 1/4 the energy of an ordinary bulb, last 13 1/3 times longer, but give about 5% less light.  If you rerun your figures for this particular energy saver bulb, you will perhaps reach a different conclusion about the savings involved.

There are two disadvantages of the energy saver bulb:

1.    It takes about a minute for it to reach full light output level.

2.    There are a few places where they cannot be used due to their different size and shape.

Note to Tom, Dan:  Re: Motion Detector Lights:

1.    There are now more sophisticated models of motion detection lights available including one using a wireless transmitter which will sound an alarm inside and/or outside your home.  The alarm(s) can be turned on or off.  This would not work for those of us on Moscow Mountain who lights are switched on by deer, elk, moose, bear, raccoons, skunks, owls, and occasional bobcats and cougars (and wandering neighborhood pets) -- it is a useful however for more populated, less feral areas.

2.    When installing motion detector lights and fixtures be sure to silicon completely and heavily around any opening where moisture could even possibly enter.  Even a little moisture will cause these units to malfunction (until they dry out again).

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com