[Vision2020] Albertsons will stay: Boise company could sell only underperforming stores

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 23 10:27:39 PST 2005

Great news for Idaho!

Article published Dec 23, 2005

Albertsons will stay
Boise company could sell only underperforming stores

Albertsons Inc. is no longer for sale and will keep its corporate
headquarters in Boise, the company's chief executive officer said Thursday
night.

"It is business as usual, and we're going to continue operating here in
Boise," Larry Johnston, president, chairman and CEO of Albertsons said in an
exclusive interview with The Idaho Statesman. "We will no longer be focusing
on the sale of the company. We plan to continue to grow our profitable
grocery business, create a more compelling shopping experience and grow our
free-standing drugstore business."

Johnston said the board of directors decided to halt efforts to sell because
"put simply, we did not receive a bid that we could accept."
He said the company will continue to discuss selling off its
"underperforming assets" with several parties.

Thursday's announcement puts an end to months of speculation and worry that
a sale of Albertsons would mean the loss of its Boise headquarters, with
about 2,500 corporate jobs and an estimated $11 million in state and local
taxes.
Even though Albertsons' future remains unclear, local leaders heaved a sigh
of relief at Thursday's announcement.

"That's a heck of a Christmas present," said Boise Mayor Dave Bieter.

Bieter said he had hoped this would happen, but had become less optimistic
in recent weeks. The mayor was mostly worried that the top bidders looked
like they might move Albertsons headquarters out of Boise, where the grocery
chain started in 1939.
"I was awfully nervous about it," he said.

Other local officials said the news was exciting but still unclear.
"I'm breathing a sigh of relief, but it may be shortlived," said Mike
Ferguson, the state's chief economist. "The bottom line is it sounds as
though things are still up in the air and the situation is fluid."

Jim Everett, chief executive officer of the Treasure Valley YMCA, called the
news "encouraging" but said he wants "to learn a little more."

"My initial reaction is that's fabulous, especially if it means the
corporate headquarters stays here and it can be a Boise-based company,"
Everett said. "It's nothing but good news. I am elated. Having said that, I
am anxious to hear what that all means."
Everett and the leaders of other local non-profit and charitable
organizations were disappointed to hear in September that Albertsons was
putting itself up for sale and might leave Boise. Since Joe Albertson
started the company 66 years ago, Albertsons has been a major economic and
charitable presence in Boise.

Last year alone, the company donated about $2.5 million to charities
throughout the Treasure Valley. Joe and Kathryn Albertson were also
responsible for helping Albertson College of Idaho out of financial trouble
and founding the Albertson Foundation, which had raised about $244 million
for education in Idaho as of last year.
A retail industry analyst called Albertsons' announcement Thursday night "a
very smart move" for the company.

"This is something we expected way back in the beginning. Albertsons is such
a strong franchise that it makes sense for them to sell underperforming
assets," said Burt Flickinger III, managing director of the Strategic
Research Group, a New York-based retail consulting firm.

The company did not define what underperforming assets it was looking to
sell.
But Albertsons' grocery stores in Florida and Texas — where the company
faces heavy competition from Wal-Mart Supercenters — are likely to be sold
off first, Flickinger said.

The company's Sav-on and Osco drug stores could also be sold for a high
price, he said.
Flickinger said the company's decision to remain in Boise was a good one.

"The people of Boise are one of the crown jewels of the company because they
have a tremendous work ethic and they've got folks with institutional
knowledge and a can-do attitude," he said.

Ferguson said selling the underperforming assets is far better for Boise
than selling off all of Albertsons. But he said it is still too early to
tell how Boise and the local economy will be affected by this announcement.
Albertsons' announcement was released about the same time Thursday night
that Minnesota-based grocery chain SuperValu Inc. and drug store chain CVS
Corp. announced they had terminated all bid discussions with Albertsons.
Both SuperValu and CVS were reportedly part of a buyout group that had been
the leading bidder for Albertsons.

On Wednesday, Albertsons' board of directors terminated negotiations with a
buyout group that included SuperValu, CVS, private investment firm Cerberus
Capital Management and Kimco Realty Corp., a real estate investment company,
according to The New York Times. The Times said the group offered $9.6
billion, or $26 a share, for the entire company.
Albertsons' stock had closed Thursday down 3.4 percent, at $23.28, several
hours before the company's announcement.

Earlier in the morning, the company's stock had fallen more than 6 percent
to $22.60 after The New York Times report.

Revolution is not a word but an application; it is not war but peace; it
does not weaken, but strengthens. Revolution does not cause separation; it
generates togetherness.
-John Africa, Strategic Revolution