[Vision2020] Christmas in India

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Dec 22 09:53:08 PST 2005

Greetings of the Season:

Warren Hayman's post reminded me of two Christmases I spent in India.  I
was in Bangalore both times and the shops were all decorated and Christmas
cards were for sale.

My daugher and I spent one Christmas eve at a Christian ashram in Tamil
Nadu where religious syncretism had gone completely wild.  The name of the
ashram was "Satcitananda," making a parallel between the Hindu and
Christian Trinities.  (For more see my essay "Wondrous Trinities
Everywhere" at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/trinity.htm.) The apostles were
sculpted in the style of Hindu gods at the top of small Hindu-like
temple.  But the ultimate sock-blower-offer was a statue of Christ seated
in the lotus position with a protective serpent hood over his head instead
of the standard halo.  I remember myself saying to Christina: "Does the
Pope know about all of this?!"

For some Hindus Jesus is yet another incarnation of the great god
Vishnu.  Krishna and Buddha are other major Vishnu incarnations and they
had a royal genealogy, had miraculous births, were threatened in infancy by
demon princes, worked miracles, were part of a divine Trinity, etc.  It's
the wonderful Savior Archetype that you can read about at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/archetype.htm.  Redeeming myths everywhere!

Our favorite restaurant in Bangalore was the one at the West End Hotel near
the race track.  There was an Indian band there whose specialty was Country
Western.  My partner Gail would always request the song "Help Me Make It
Through the Night," which has just been rated #1 in "Heartaches by the
Number: Country Music's 500 Greatest Singles" (Vanderbilt University
Press/Country Music Foundation Press) by David Cantwell and Bill
Friskics.  One night we tried to run up the bill by ordering starters,
drinks, main dishes (of course), and desserts but, as much as we tried, the
bill came to only $17.  That was 1995.  In the new India of today it would
be at least $50.

Nick Gier