[Vision2020] Yeah!!!!!!

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 21:25:19 PST 2005

I like both Bob Greene and John Dickinson, but I am happy with the City's decision. It was fair.

  -DJA

  Stolen from Dale's Blog, that was stolen from the Daily

  As reported in today's edition of the Moscow-Pullman Daily News:    Bob Greene vented his frustration Monday night when a much  anticipated law regarding school facilities in Moscow was approved by  the City Council without an out-of-zone parking requirement for  educational institutions downtown.
  “What a travesty,” he said as he walked out of the council chambers following the document’s approval.  Greene has long argued parking is needed for businesses downtown to  help boost economy throughout the yearlong discussion on revisions to  the zoning code regarding schools in nonresidential zones.
Councilman John Dickinson made an attempt to return  the out-of-zone parking requirement into the code Monday. That failed,  as did his attempt to continue discussion on the issue. He asked the  council to reconsider its decision about an hour and a half after the  document was approved.
A number of points brought up in previous public hearings,  including questions regarding when the comprehensive plan or zoning  code revisions should be made were not discussed within the council, he  argued.
There were times when debate was cut off, he said.
Dickinson stood alone on the council.
Council members had every opportunity to raise issues, said Councilwoman Linda Pall.
“This is something we’ve been working on for a long time  and I think we have a responsibility to see it through,” said  Councilwoman Peg Hamlett.
If the discussion had continued through the next council meeting  in January, the issue would have been inherited by the newly elected  council.
“My preference would be to bring some closure to this,” Councilman Jon Kimberling said during the Monday discussion.
A complaint about New Saint Andrews College operating in the  downtown district spurred the debate over a zoning code revision one  year ago. Subsequent questions were raised and complaints filed against  Paradise Creek Regional High School, Atlas School and Moscow High  School.
The new law will require New Saint Andrews to apply for a conditional-use permit.
Roy Atwood, president of NSA, is grateful for conclusion. He  hopes it will end divisiveness in the community exacerbated by the  zoning issue.
The college will work with the city through the  conditional-use permit process, but it will reserve the right to appeal  in district court, Atwood said. The educational institution would  prefer to be allowed by right rather than need the CUP process.
The zoning complaints led the City Council to ask the Planning and Zoning Commission to revise the city’s zoning code.
The regulations were sent back and forth from the City Council  to P&Z, which held its own public hearing in November. The  council’s public hearing on the document was Dec. 5.
The new law regarding schools in nonresidential zones  was designed by P&Z with special attention given to parking  requirements and use.
It requires schools, commercial schools and educational  institutions to apply for a conditional-use permit in most  nonresidential zones.
All school facilities are permitted with a  conditional-use permit to operate in the neighborhood business, general  business and motor business zoning districts. Commercial schools and  educational institutions may be conditionally permitted in the central  business zoning district. Only commercial schools may be conditionally  permitted in the research, technology and office zoning district.
It was decided parking would be discussed later.
“I think that should be looked at by the new council as  a separate issue,” Hamlett said. She hopes a study will be completed so  everyone understands what is causing parking concerns.
“It was discriminatory the way it was proposed,” Atwood said

                                                        -->

http://mail.yahoo.com