[Vision2020] A Yule Carol

debismith at moscow.com debismith at moscow.com
Wed Dec 21 19:36:52 PST 2005

This was sent by another Pagan/Wiccan in our local community---thought I'd share it with
v2020.
I love seasonal carols, but most of them are just too flipping "one religion" (or plain silly) for
me.
 I'm an unabashed pluralist---more worship of whatever (if any) powers that be is
better. It is all good energy sent out into the universal All. I don't think anyone has a lock on
 "The Truth"; I do think religion is a way of presenting metaphors that help us rise above
our base instincts.  I appreciate the multiplicity of human experience that gives us so many
creator myths and seasonal sacrificial figures who represent the redemptive in each of us.

 So, I gift each of you on the eve of Winter Solstice with an amusing parody written by a
Unitarian minister--

 GOD REST YE, UNITARIANS
Rev. Chris Raible

God rest ye, Unitarians, let nothing you dismay;
Remember there's no evidence
There was a Christmas Day;
When Christ was born is just not known,
No matter what they say,
O, Tidings of reason and fact, reason and fact,
Glad tidings of reason and fact.

Our current Christmas customs come
>From Persia and from Greece,
>From solstice celebrations of the ancient Middle East.
This whole darn Christmas spiel is just
Another pagan feast,
O, Tidings of reason and fact, reason and fact,
Glad tidings of reason and fact.

There was no star of Bethlehem,
There was no angels' song;
There couldn't have been wise men
For the trip would take too long.
The stories in the Bible are historically wrong,
O, Tidings of reason and fact, reason and fact,
Glad tidings of reason and fact.

(and added from the Pagans on the Palouse)

It matters not if this is true
or 'tis a fairy tale.
For each of us there can be good
By Bible, Church, or Spell.