[Vision2020] Michael Metzler and the Incarnation; philosophical theology

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 20 14:18:17 PST 2005

Then Michael wrote in part and in response to Nick:

> The way you define God and man in your essay seems to beg the
> question. You have taken what are to me more Hellenistic descriptions
> of God and man (instead of biblical or creedal language), assumed
> their static nature, and then used two simple syllogisms to prove that
> God could not become ‘flesh’ and that flesh could not be taken up by
> God.  I’d be happy challenging your definitions of God and man . . .
> I’d also want to make a challenge that is willing to, for the sake of
> argument, grant your definitions; this is a second way in which your
> argument seems to beg the question: even if these were successful
> descriptions of God and man before the incarnation, nothing latent in
> the definitions themselves logically prohibits God and man to change
> in nature. From this perspective, the ‘incarnation’ just is the cosmic
> changing of these ‘categories.’ My quote from McLaren was meant to
> highlight this.

Dear Nick, Michael, and other brave souls,

For my sins (I trained for many years as a medievalist), if there's one
thing I know, it's Thomas Aquinas.  From the Summa Theologica, Article
II:

> [...]
> their necessary existence, the chain of causes cannot go back
> infinitely, just as not in the case of efficient causes, as proved.
> Hence there must be presupposed something necessarily existing through
> its own nature, not having a cause elsewhere but being itself the
> cause of the necessary existence of other things---which all call God.
> The fourth proof arises from the degrees that are found in things. For
> there is found a greater and a less degree of goodness, truth,
> nobility, and the like. But more or less are terms spoken of various
> things as they approach in diverse ways toward something that is the
> greatest, just as in the case of hotter (more hot) which approaches
> nearer the greatest heat. There exists therefore something that is the
> truest, and best, and most noble, and in consequence, the greatest
> being. For what are the greatest truths are the greatest beings, as is
> said in the Metaphysics Bk. II. 2. What moreover is the greatest in
> its way, in another way is the cause of all things of its own kind (or
> genus); thus fire, which is the greatest heat, is the cause of all
> heat, as is said in the same book (cf. Plato and Aristotle). Therefore
> there exists something that is the cause of the existence of all
> things and of the goodness and of every perfection whatsoever---and
> this we call God.
> The fifth proof arises from the ordering of things for we see that
> some things which lack reason, such as natural bodies, are operated in
> accordance with a plan. It appears from this that they are operated
> always or the more frequently in this same way the closer they follow
> what is the Highest; whence it is clear that they do not arrive at the
> result by chance but because of a purpose. The things, moreover, that
> do not have intelligence do not tend toward a result unless directed
> by some one knowing and intelligent; just as an arrow is sent by an
> archer. Therefore there is something intelligent by which all natural
> things are arranged in accordance with a plan---and this we call God.
> that since God is entirely good, He would permit evil to exist in His
> works only if He were so good and omnipotent that He might bring forth
> good even from the evil. It therefore pertains to the infinite
> goodness of God that he permits evil to exist and from this brings
> forth good.
> My reply to the second objection is that since nature is ordered in
> accordance with some defined purpose by the direction of some superior
> agent, those things that spring from nature must be dependent upon
> God, just as upon a first cause. Likewise, what springs from a
> proposition must be traceable to some higher cause which is not the
> human reason or will, because this is changeable and defective and
> everything changeable and liable to non-existence is dependent upon
> some unchangeable first principle that is necessarily self-existent as

I would argue myself that God is always and everywhere unchanging; it
is only our understanding that grows (or lessens) or changes over time.
  The God of the first Genesis creation story is not the same as the God
of the second, and the God who drowns the world in flood is much like
the God who torments Job, but not like the God of Isaiah.  This is why
Jews have not just Torah but the Midrash; we argue not only about God
but with God.  And sometimes, we win.

What does this mean in terms of the Christian incarnation?  For me, it
means very little -- I don't believe that God chose to be born of a
virgin in Bethlehem, taught up and down the coast of Galilee, and died
by crucifixion in Jerusalem only to be resurrected and born up into
heaven.  Why, or rather, why not?  Because I don't believe in the
necessity of redemption via suffering and death.  God doesn't need to
go to this much trouble to cope with our failings.  The God of Abraham
made us as we are, handed down 600-odd commandments advising us on how
to behave morally and ethically, and then, like a good shrink, let us
go with the option to call upon Him/Her if we need to.  And, just
speaking for myself, I need to -- often.  This is one of the many
reasons I light the Sabbath candles.

That said, I don't know that logic need come into Michael's belief in
or defense of the Christian incarnation.  I believe that, as a
Calvinist, he cannot play with the definition of God, and that the
definition of God may not change, but virgin births make no more or
less sense than talking bushes.  800 years on and we have not moved
beyond Aquinas' proofs of God.  They are not logical in the classical
sense.  Aquinas, again:

"So faith presupposes natural knowledge, so grace nature, and
perfection a perfectible thing.  Nothing prevents a thing that is in
itself demonstratable and knowable, from being accepted as an article
of faith by someone that does not accept the proof of it."

An elegant thinker, Aquinas, and one of my favorites.  I enjoyed
reading the Summa Theologica.  Just don't ask me how I felt about
Calvin's Institutes.  I'd turn the air (or, rather, the ether) blue.

Joan

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com