[Vision2020] Wal-Mart meeting

JeanC jeanc38 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 15:10:42 PST 2005

I'd also like to chime in on the excellent service and staff at both
Safeway and the pharmacy. We followed Wayne when he left Tidyman's and
will follow him anywhere (tho I doubt he'll be leaving Safeway soon).

We tend to do the bulk of our shopping at Winco, even tho it is across
town from us (a Walmart Supercenter would be landing in our laps, we
live at the end of South Mountain View, where we now enjoy a lovely
view of the cemetary from our front yard) and it is not at all an
inconvenience to pop across town. I read the Safeway flyer (when their
totally delish Rancher's Reserve  beef goes on sale, we stock up) and
the one for Rosauers weekly and shop there accordingly. Once or twice
a month we head down to Lewiston and Clarkston to hit the Cash and
Carry and Costco. If it is late at night and we have a craving for
something, we pop up to Safeway for it.

We've gotten our Walmart trips down to a minimum, the last trip over
was for cat food and baby aspirin (which we buy at Costco, but I
miscalculated what we had and ran out. The cats won't eat the regular
store brands, but will eat the Special Kitty brand in a pinch with no
complaints).

Saundra wrote:
Nonetheless, with all the talk about how "expensive" Safeway is, I'm
wondering if smart shopping is a skill others never learned?

I wonder about that too. I strongly suspect that people who claim how
Safeway is SOOO much more expensive don't comparison shop. I find I am
very happy with the store brand products that are just as good as the
name brand and much cheaper. I like the quality of the Safeway Select
and am happy everytime I go in to find they've expanded the products
that are labled as such. I very rarely buy "name" brands with the
except of a couple items (I almost always go for Campbell's soups, but
that is just because that is what I grew up with and prefer over all
others. Just a quirk on my part). We did our Thanksgiving Day shopping
with some extras at Safeway this year and didn't spend much more then
we would have at Winco, esp since Safeway had their turkeys cheap for
only a $25 min purchase, while I would have had to spend $50 at Winco
to safe a penny a pound on the bird. So I actually saved money
shopping at Safeway this go around :) It is all in how you shop and I
learned from the best, my parents who saw to it I could whip up a pot
roast dinner, change the oil and tires on my car and balance a
checkbook :D

Jean C
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can
  change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has"
    Margaret Mead
http://www.uidaho.edu/~bjcraw/
JeanC's Cat House & Shooting Society
http://jeanc38.bravemusings.com