[Vision2020] Walmart

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 20 08:58:19 PST 2005

Donovan,

I have never purchased anything at a Wal-Mart but have been dragged to
WalMart by one of my best friends numerous times.  The lines in WalMart are
usually very long, the aisles in WalMart are usually very crowded, and the
time it takes to find what you need at WalMart is usually quite extensive.
What I am getting at is that in essence, the time you WASTE in WinCo is more
than likely equal to the time you will WASTE in a WalMart SuperCenter.  Yes,
you might save some time driving across town, but I kind of remember you
saying sometime on V2020 that people who complain about traffic in Moscow
need to pull their head out or something.  So it seems that most people
probably don't waste much time in traffic trying to get to WinCo.

The other part of your scnario, the part where you talked about the ATM, you
mentioned that a trip is ofetn wasted to WinCo because their ATM is broken.
Well if memory serves me, there is an ATM across the parking lot at
Washington Mutual.  Ah and guess what, this is a no fee ATM if I remember
right.  And even if both ATM's are broken, you could always write a check.
Wow, you must have forgotten that WinCo takes checks and that the money from
the check often times comes from the same source as the money from your
debit card.  So lets say both ATM's are broken, you forgot your check book,
and you have no cash, well hey guess what, I think there is an ATM in the
mall, Zip Trip, the Stinker Station, US Bank, Wells Fargo, the Garden
Lounge.  So it seems as though Donovan, that all hope is not lost when you
make your trip to WinCo.

Tim

Compare Chas;

  Drive to Win-co: 10 Minutes
  Pay $2  fee for ATM, Win-Co does not take debt-it card
  Find Items 5 Minutes
  Wait in line 5 minutes
  Drive back from  Win-Co: 10 Minutes

  That is 30 minutes of my time and an additional $2.

  Safeway, is on my way home and I do not have to pay cash.

  Is the $2 I save worth 30 minutes of my time when I have 6 hours of  sleep
between my next class and next work shift, not to mention the  cost of gas
and increased mileage on my car, and the risk that the ATM  is broken in
Win-Co anyway so it would be a wasted trip, as has  happened many times?

  If Wal-Mart opens, I save on the gas, the ATM fees, and on the lower
prices of the food. Which comes to about $75 a month.

  If I did not go to school and work two jobs or had someone else to do  my
shopping it would not be so bad. Of course it would also help if I  did not
forget items like ketchup so I did not have to stop at Safeway.

  -DJA

Revolution is not a word but an application; it is not war but peace; it
does not weaken, but strengthens. Revolution does not cause separation; it
generates togetherness.
-John Africa, Strategic Revolution