[Vision2020] Health District HIV Gossip?

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Dec 20 08:33:53 PST 2005

Ted,

Without repeating the argument I made,  let me say the same thing to you:  What evidence do you have that because of the incident and discussion of the Mubita case there is less HIV testing?

It is possible that we will have a better answer to this question in time as there may be some requirement for testing agencies to keep and to submit for governmental reporting depersonalized statistics.  I do not know at this time if this is true.  Perhaps someone better informed could post on this subject.

I can only repeat that if there was a chance that I was HIV positive, I'd want to know to protect those I love, to seek the latest medical remedies/treatment/information, and to take other precautions.  Of course, there are selfish people in the world who give not a whit for others -- it is unlikely that these people would request to be tested under any conditions.

However, there are others who cared about the serious consequences to others, especially loved ones.  I think that this is a wake-up call for those on the Palouse to seriously consider being tested.  The empirical evidence of increased testing we have is that the health district has quickly run out of primary test kits.

I would further guess if UI, WSU, NSA, etc were to offer and advertise a testing program which protected the confidentiality of the test results as much is allowed under law, there would be several hundred people would now decide to be tested.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com