[Vision2020] Narnia

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Dec 19 16:45:08 PST 2005

Disclaimer:  I've never read "The Chronicles of Narnia," nor have I seen the
movie, nor have I been to Oxford, nor have I ever drunk brandy and smoked
cigars in a pub.

Still, Joan raises an interesting point and Michael does as well -- perhaps
if Aslan were another animal more lowly . . . and yet, is it really true
allegory?  Greater minds than I will have to settle this; there are greater
minds than my own in the next room, so it shouldn't be hard to spark the
debate.  That said, another Christian author I read recently has also
suggested that Aslan as lamb would work better than Aslan as lion in
representing Jesus Christ.  I think, though, that Aslan's lion-hood is a
symbol of the triumphant return of Christ, perhaps oddly out of line with
the book character's redemptive, Christ-incarnate  nature, which, in Jesus'
first coming, was represented by His lowly stature.

I have just begun reading "Narnia" at the urging of a dear friend, and so
far I enjoy "The Magician's Nephew."  I always liked the name "Andrew," but
after 19 pages of the evil Uncle Andrew, I'm glad we went with "Anthony" for
our son . . .

keely