[Vision2020] HIV/AIDS

Janesta Carcich janestacarcich at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 19 10:37:20 PST 2005

Pat,

A newspapers job is to inform us of the news and to
educate. How else would we know about Mad Cow disease,
and how it is spread? I could go on and on with
examples. Would you feel better if we didn't know
there was a member of our community who commited a
crime against society? I say society instead of women,
because without the paper printing his photo, some of
these women may have never been tested, and perhaps
spread this virus. It is also a wake-up call to those
men and women who have not used protection to get
tested.

To answer your question about not believing anyone
needs to be educated about HIV/AIDS. Schools offter
sex education and parents have the option of "opting
out" their child. In one of my posts I wrote about the
young adults who had no idea about a lot of things,
sexual and otherwise, because their parents did not
feel comfortable discussing it with them. They would
talk to me, about things their parents should have
been talking to them about. So sad. I could not
imagine not being able to discuss with an open mind
anything my child wanted to discuss. Of course now,
with 3 out of 4 with college degrees, and the 4th well
on her way, it is THEM teaching me! I love it! *broad
smile*

Sadly, yes, there are some students that are so
unaware, they need education about this. Even sadder
yet, are the adults our age who don't have a clue. It
is a public health issue, an issue the papers have an
obligation to inform and educate before it becomes the
pandemic here, that it is in Africa, and other
countries.

Fully 250,000 people of the one million in the US that
are HIV+ do not know they are positive.

I realize this is an old post but I have been very
busy and am only now getting the time to respond.
I cannot believe that someone in this community nor
any where else needs to be 'educated' about the
subject of AIDs. Are our UofI students so unaware that
they NOW need to be educated? All that sex education
and they do not understand?? Why make the newspaper
responsible for the education of people who are not
paying attention anyway? I know they may have had the
attitude that 'it can't happen here' but they surely
must know that it is happening in the world.

Janesta Carcich

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This e-mail transmission is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, any distribution or copying of this transmittal is strictly prohibited and is not a waiver of any applicable privilege.  If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the original transmission and its attachments.