[Vision2020] To Nick on quantum theory

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 18 16:36:42 PST 2005

Nick

I am obviously a pretty poor teacher or you would not be making statements
like this;

“For now let me just repeat my charge that Phil Nisbet is simply wrong to
state that Einsteain developed Quatum Mechanics.  Contrary to what Phil
claims, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is essential to quantum theory
as it has been developed and has been verified time and time again.  To say
that Einstein "developed" the theory by trying to include it in a unified
theory that did not include uncertainty is really off the wall."

I tried to dumb down and assumed you would get it, but obviously you do not.

Albert Einstein developed the initial phases of quantum theory with his 1906
paper that recognized the existence of photons as quanta.  His work was an
extension of Max Planck's work on black body radiation.  Recognition that
both matter and energy are quantized is fundamental to quantum mechanics.
His work and that of Bohr and others were recognized as the old quantum
theory from which quantum mechanics’ more rigorous mathematics was derived.

The statement you made was that Einstein opposed quantum mechanics.  That
statement is false.  Einstein, from the quotes I gave you, recognized that
quantum mechanics was a workable model for the representation of what
happens in the universe, he simply believed that there was something more
that would make the model more deterministic, a better representation of
'reality' and not a statistical craps game.

Heisenberg's critical contribution to the development of quantum mechanics
was recognizing matrix mechanics, though it might be argued that Max Born
was the person who saw that the initial work Heisenberg tossed at him had
any significance whatsoever.  Heisenberg himself did not understand the math
and passed his work off to Born and Jordan who actually switched his
computations to matrix form while Heisenberg was absent on a lecture tour.

Even then, quantum mechanics was not launched.  Pauli's exclusion principle,
electron spin and a number of other variables were required to complete the
'new' quantum mechanics.

Further, in 1926, Erwin Schrödinger developed an alternative mathematical
approach; his famous wave equation that was more widely supported than was
matrix mechanics.  Both sets of mathematics performed the same functions,
yet both were incomplete.  Dirac and Jordan melded the two ideas into what
is termed transformation theory which is a unifying equation that is the
current basis for quantum mechanics.

I hope this sets the stage more firmly than I did previously and I will rely
on the Heisenberg exhibit from the American Institute of Physics to deal
with it from there;

http://www.aip.org/history/heisenberg/p09.htm

Heisenberg and of course Schrödinger’s Cat; require that nothing exists in
reality until observed by an observer.  A tree falls in the forest with
nobody there to hear it and in essence makes no sound.

So as a philosopher, Nick, tell me, was Einstein wrong?  Does objective
reality exist?  Is Schrödinger’s cat half alive and half dead?

As for the later portion of your paragraph, what I said was that Einstein
was seeking a method for turning the probabilistic quantum mechanics, in
whose creation he had participated (Read up and you will find that every one
of the players in this piece of history were writing letters back and forth
to Albert Einstein), into something that fit with general relativity and
other theories to form a deterministic whole which could rationally explain
the universe’s laws.  Unified field theory came after relativity and after
quantum mechanics and is a yet unfulfilled ideal.

I have missed any number of key players in what was one of the great dramas
of the 20th Century in my brief here and I have no doubt oversimplified many
elements, however, the statement stands; Heisenberg did not develop quantum
mechanics, he was only one player and Einstein was far more crucial to the
development of the theory than Heisenberg.  The Uncertainty Principle is not
the critical part of quantum mechanics, heck; it was not even added until
1927 and was derived from the mathematics that Dirac and Jordan put in
place.

Hopefully your ex-brother in law is a better teacher than I am turning out
to be.  I knew there was a reason I did not turn academic track. . .

Phil Nisbet