[Vision2020] The Christmas Story and Other Redeeming Myths

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Dec 18 10:20:32 PST 2005

Greetings Visionaries:

I'm sending a copy of this to Ed Iverson.  He and I were writing columns
about the Christmas story independently and we have very different ideas
about the historicity of the events recorded.  Before I sent this off to my
column venues, I always like this list to be the first to read it, if its
members are so inclined.

On another topic, I just want to say that I've sent a copy of the exchange
on Einstein and Quantum Mechanics to the UI professor who teaches this
stuff.  Now that I think of it, I will also send it to my ex brother-in-law
in Denmark, a world class low temperature physicist, from whom I've learned
a lot about contemporary physics.

For now let me just repeat my charge that Phil Nisbet is simply wrong to
state that Einsteain developed Quatum Mechanics.  Contrary to what Phil
claims, Heisenberg's uncertainty principle is essential to quantum theory
as it has been developed and has been verified time and time again.  To say
that Einstein "developed" the theory by trying to include it in a unified
theory that did not include uncertainty is really off the wall.

Happy Holidays to each and all,

Nick Gier
The Christmas Story and Other Redeeming Myths

By Nick Gier

A myth is a tale that tells truth--Anonymous

At the risk of being a Grinch who ruins Christmas, I would like to go
behind the Christmas Story and relate what scholars know about the biblical
texts involved. I hope that the result will be a more enlightened
perspective on the role of such stories in the common life of humankind.

In the second chapter of Matthew we read the story of wise men who came
from the East to worship the baby Jesus. These men are called magoi (Greek
for magicians), and scholars have identified them, if they were there, as
Zoroastrian priests from Babylon.

There are several problems with this story.  If they were following a star
in the East, they would have traveled East, not West, to Palestine.  That
means that they would have been heading in the direction of the birth of a
Hindu savior, not a Jewish one.  But most likely, they would have been
searching for their own savior, one named Saosyant.

The Jewish historian Josephus hated King Herod and chronicled his life in
great detail, but it is very odd that he never mentions the slaughter of
infants found in Matthew 2:16.  Could this be an element of what I call the
"Savior Archetype," common patterns of events that are attributed to many
of the world's saviors?  See www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/archetype.htm.

In the their various scriptures the saviors are said to have had royal
genealogies and miraculous conceptions; they worked miracles and escaped
the clutches of death.  Jesus, Krishna, and Zoroaster were also threatened
in infancy by demon kings.

Returning now to the beginning of the story, there is no record of Caesar
Augustus' decree that "all the world should be enrolled" (Luke 2:1).  The
Romans kept extremely detailed records of such events.  Not only is Luke's
census not in these records, it goes against all that we know of Roman
economic history.

In Josephus' account of the Roman census in 6 C.E., he writes that those
people taxed were assessed of their possessions, including lands and
livestock.  But Luke has Joseph and Mary making a three-day journey, away
from their home and possessions in Nazareth, to register in their alleged
ancestral home in Bethlehem.

An Egyptian papyrus recording a census in 104 C.E. states that "since
registration by household is imminent, it is necessary to notify all who
for any reason are absent from their districts to return to their own homes
that they may carry out the ordinary business of registration." For more on
Luke's census see www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/census.htm.

Imagine a system of taxation based on people returning to their ancestral
homes, going back a thousand years in the case of Joseph.  By this time the
Jews were spread out all over the known world.  Can we seriously believe
that the Romans would have required them to come back to Palestine,
carrying everything they owned?

In The Rise of Christianity Bishop E. W. Barnes remarks:  "The Romans were
a practical race, skilled in the art of government.  It is incredible that
they should have taken a census according to such a fantastic system.  If
any such census had been taken, the dislocation to which it would have led
would have been world-wide."

We can now understand why Jesus never mentions his birth in Bethlehem; and
that, except for the birth stories, Jesus is always connected with
Nazareth.  The authors of the Gospel of John apparently do not know of
Jesus' alleged birth in Bethlehem.  Nathanael does not know it (7:46), and
no one answers the challenge of the crowd when they say: "Is the Christ to
come from Galilee? Has not the scriptures said that the Christ...comes from
Bethlehem?" (7:42).

At this point some readers may be saying: "Way to go, Gier, you've just
spoiled Christmas more than any commercial enterprise could ever do."

Let me tell you about a wise woman in an African village whose job it was
to instruct the children in the tribe's myths.  She began each session with
the following disclaimer: "The stories that I will tell you are not true,
but they are the most important stories that you will ever hear."

In India it is the grandmother's task to teach Hindu mythology to the
children.  These are fantastic tales of great heroes and heroines, but also
much violence, death, and sex.  Their graphic "in your face" style, not too
different from Grimm's Fairy Tales or many Old Testament stories, has a
very important socio-psychological purpose.

In Europe and America, where we pride ourselves (even very religious people
do) by living without myth and legend, we still pay huge sums to
psychotherapists to help us recover from unresolved experiences of
violence, death, and sex.  I've always thought that Hindu mythology serves
as a fairly effective substitute for a mental health program that the
Indians cannot afford.

This Sunday I will enjoy, and be redeemed by, the performance of Handel's
Messiah, and in the choir of my Unitarian church, where most members think
they have left myths far behind, we will be singing hymns to a miraculous
child, born in the darkest time of the year, who brings the light of hope
to a broken world.