[Vision2020] NSA/Verizon/Zoning Trouble Timeline (was: Who startedit? Who cares?)

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 17 23:49:28 PST 2005

On 17 Dec 2005, at 11:19, Bruce and Jean Livingston wrote:

> I think that a subsequent post from Rose Huskey corrects, though not
> explicitly, the mistake in paragraph 3 below of Joan's recitation.  I
> believe that the City did give NSA an occupancy permit for the
> Skattaboe bldg.  What NSA failed to obtain was a "zoning certificate,"
> which is also required.  That certificate has still never been issued
> (and can't be, unless the zoning code is changed, because NSA has been
> found to be an illegal use under current code).
>
> The files available for review in City Hall plainly show that when NSA
> was being told about its various zoning violations in Fort Russell and
> that they had to leave Fort Russell (where they were operating
> illegally), that the City explained the requirement of the Zoning
> Certificate.  Nevertheless, NSA did not apply for a zoning certificate
> when it moved downtown.
>
> Bruce Livingston

Thanks to Bruce and Rose for the corrections.  As I said in my original
post, it's hard to keep track of what happened when; I was just
reciting from memory.  Also, I know that NSA has some certificate, but
I still don't know if it's a zoning certificate or an occupancy permit.
  Whatever it is, it does not mitigate the illegality of their current
situtation.

The easy (and most relevant) part of the whole affair is this: as an
educational institution, NSA is not permitted in the Central Business
District.  This does not mean that Doug Wilson must sell his building,
close his college, or file for bankruptcy.  What he must do (unless
City Council grants him a special exemption from zoning regulations and
thus plays merry hell with the Comprehensive Plan) is move the college
to some suitable location.  Mr. Wilson can then find some legal use for
the Skattaboe Building -- as I've suggested before, a church is a
perfectly legal use.  If Doug wants a downtown cathedral, here's his
chance.  Even if his sermons should happen to get long-winded, no one's
going to care if his parishioners clog the Jackson Street parking lot
on a Sunday morning.  Doug could safely rabbit on about the Christian
slave-holding, the beauty of submission, and the "odor" of the
Christian home (no kidding: http://www.credenda.org) for hours on end
without any fear of having his pickup truck clamped.

FYI, I missed one other point in my off-the-cuff timeline: after New
St. Andrews vacated Chris Schlect's home on Polk Street, it was housed
in Anselm House, the Christ Church business office on Washington
Street.  Again, Anselm House was not, zoning-wise, a legal site for
NSA.  So, the college began in an illegal site, moved to a second
illegal site, and then a third.  By my count, that's three zoning
strikes against New St. Andrews -- umpire says "You're out!"

Let's see what City Council says.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com