[Vision2020] name calling: AD HOMINEM ARGUMENT

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Dec 17 16:16:07 PST 2005

Joan et. al.

Yes, argument ad hominem can be amusing.  But you lost me totally in your
assertion that this form of argument cannot be dismissed as "fallacious" or
"invalid" when you stated emphatically that "it is neither."

You wrote:

As a type of polemic, the ad hominem is often dismissed as
either fallacious or invalid; it is neither.  It's simply not logical.
It can, however, be amusing.

"Fallacious" and "invalid" are words that in their common definitions can be
used to refer to the correctness of logical arguments.  Your claim that ad
hominem arguments are neither "fallacious" or "invalid" does not fit common
usage.

First, the definition of "fallacious," and not one from a technical study of
logic, but from the hoi polloi web site dictionary.com:

fallacious adj 1: containing or based on a fallacy; "fallacious reasoning";
"an unsound argument" [syn: unsound] 2: intended to deceive; "deceitful
advertising"; "fallacious testimony"; "smooth, shining, and deceitful as thin ice" -
S.T.Coleridge; "a fraudulent scheme to escape paying taxes" [syn: deceitful,
fraudulent] 3: based on an incorrect or misleading notion or information;
"fallacious hope"

"Fallacious" in this definition first refers to fallacious reasoning, an
unsound argument. Argument ad hominem can most definitely refer to a fallacious
argument, an argument that contains a "fallacy."

Below is an argument using argument ad hominem that is "fallacious:"

Person X is a bad man who has killed dozens of helpless women and children in
cold blooded premeditated murder for no other reason than his sadistic
personal pleasure.
Any ethical principle person X espouses is therefore a false principle,
because of the overwhelming evil that person X embodies (ad hominem type of
thinking).
Person X states that premeditated cold blooded murder like he committed is
wrong.
Therefore, the ethical principle that "cold blooded premeditated murder for
no other reason than sadistic personal pleasure is wrong," is a false
principle, because person X espoused it.

In the argument above, use of argument ad hominem leads to a fallacious
conclusion, assuming we accept the principle on murder offered above as a valid
ethical principle that exists in fact in an accepted ethical system(s).

Again from dictionary.com, below is a discussion of the history and current
usage of "ad hominem" argument.  It is apparent this type of "argument" has a
rather broad application in common usage, with debate ongoing as to the exact
correct proper usage.  Note the discussion of the application of argument ad
hominem based on gender and the suggestions for the use of argument "ad
feminam:"

ad homi·nem adv.