[Vision2020] John D your gradualism post

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 15 03:43:36 PST 2005

John D

Excellent post and full of fairly interesting papers.

Every few years Jay Gould and a few of the relatively die hard Darwinists
attempt to come up with a case for gradualism.  They are at last agreeing
that punctuated equilibrium is a reality, but still will not give up the
ghost that there might be a case of gradualism out there for them to find.

The best they have been able to do is make a claim that there must be a
geological reason that gradual morphological change and the strata in which
it occurs are less preservable than is the case for punctuated equilibrial
events.  Why exactly long term stable areas with slow changes would not be
better preserved is something they have yet to come up with a reason for.

What they are left doing is conceptual papers and you list many recent ones,
but they are not based on hard field data.  I am reminded of Alverez’s
initial work at Gubio for some of these papers trying to show forams tests
changing upward in sequence.  Sampling error and over extension of data in
these cases tends to show that the changes assumed to be gradual turn out
most often to be punctuated equilibria rather than gradualism.

Gradualism assumes that speciation occurs at the center of a species range
as a result of mutations that occur at a measured rate that will be selected
as more viable through natural processes.  We can go to locations that had
such environments and pale ecological conditions and in every case I am
aware of, find that speciation either does not occur at all or that
colonization from marginal populations is what has actually happened.

Intellectually, gradualism is very satisfying, which is why it keeps turning
up like a bad penny.  Its is very easy to understand why evolutionary
biologists would prefer it to dealing with punctuated equilibrium, which
like life is far more messy and harder to follow.

Look at a thought problem.  A species with long legs eats and lives in water
that is gradually rising.  What gradualists suggest is that generation to
generation the legs of the creature will grow to accommodate the new
condition in the habitat.  What really ends up happening is that some will
adapt by simply migrating, a few by longer legs, a few by floating, a few by
changing what they eat, a few by having longer necks and a host of clever
and simple things.  Some will not cope at all and will simply become
extinct.  The question is, when will one of these adaptive strategies become
selected as speciation instead of being simply the normal range for
creatures of that particular grouping?

If gradualism was to hold in this case, we would expect one hippo to become
a whale and one to become a rhino and one to stay a hippo.  What actually
happens on the ground is that the hippos stay range bound and moving to stay
in their species comfort zone until stressed by events.  Its point events
that destroy the center of the range that causes speciation.  If the event
is either too small or to brief, the species will join back together in the
center of its creeping range and not become distinct from the earlier
adaptive methods it has used.

A lot of this is hugely important to remember, because it has consequences
for how we cope with ecological systems and species in our current day and
age.  If gradualism was the case, species that man impacts would slowly
adapt to the changes that man imparts to habitat.  We know that not to be
the case and have to treat our actions on the globe so as not to be an
extinctive or speciational point of punctuation.

As a note to you, similar things have happened when dealing with things like
continental drift and plate tectonics.  The old school refused to step down
from their earlier ideas of a world created by synclines,
http://www.mantleplumes.org/WebDocuments/Geomyths.pdf  I can still remember
Dean of North Cascades Geology, Dr Peter Misch chewing us out for talking
about such things on field trips and other people trying to accommodate both
ideas to please the contending parties.

Phil Nisbet