[Vision2020] Business parking

Joan Opyr joanopyr at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 15 02:40:40 PST 2005

On 14 Dec 2005, at 23:03, Pat Kraut wrote:

> So, if we get the NSA out and some other business goes in then when we
> have trouble finding a parking spot we have no complaints? I have
> lived here since 1962 and can tell you that the complaints about
> parking are not new. It is one of the reasons the UI let the mall go
> in and that didn't help either. The 1912 building razed would have
> provided some spots!

If NSA moves to an appropriately-zoned district, then yes, I think it
will help.  You're quite right that parking downtown has always been a
problem, one that I hope the new City Council will address, but NSA's
students certainly exacerbate the problem.  The Central Business
District is not a suitable location for a college of 150-200 students
plus faculty and staff; that's why educational institutions are
expressly forbidden in the CBD.  Main Street, Washington, Jackson (on
the right-hand side), the Jackson Street public lot should be reserved
for retail use.  There's a three-hour parking limit downtown to keep
the traffic moving; that's adequate for a bit of shopping and a bite of
lunch.  It's not adequate for a bit of shopping, a bite of lunch, and
several hours worth of classes in Lordship, Leadership, Headship, and
all the rest of that ship taught at NSA.

I appreciate your 43-year perspective on the downtown parking problems,
Pat.  It's clearly high time City Council did something to improve the
situation.  It's also the case, however, that allowing New St. Andrews
to remain where it currently is is not part of any parking solution;
it's part of the problem.

About the 1912 Building -- yes, if we knocked it to the ground, we
could lay down some asphalt and create a few parking spaces, but I
think the loss of that building would be terrible.  Like the Old Post
Office, the David's building, and the Moscow Hotel, the 1912 Building
is one of Moscow's most beautiful.  I would no sooner knock it down to
create more parking than I'd set fire to the McConnell Mansion.  In
this case, I think historical value outweighs my shopping convenience.
(I also don't want to knock down the Skattaboe, nor do I want to force
Doug Wilson to sell up and move out.  If he can find an appropriate
legal use for his beautifully remodeled building, then more power to
him.  A Christian bookstore; a bakery; a coffee shop; a Kirk Dollar
Store -- all would be fine by me and perfectly within the law.  The
Skattaboe is simply not suitable for an educational institution; large
non-commercial schools do not belong in the CBD.  Period.)

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com