[Vision2020] Einstein and Quantum Mechanics

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 14 21:09:12 PST 2005

Bob

The uncertainty principle is not exactly the most important element of
quantum mechanics, its a means of applying mathematics that allow us to
approximate what due to measurement effects we can not actual measure
ourselves.  The fact that we can not measure something because our efforts
to see it make our measurement inaccurate were what Einstein was railing
against.  The electron does not think that it is probably in a certain place
and is not ruled by the statistical probability crap shoot that we are
forced to use so that we can measure it.

"You believe in the G-d who plays dice, and I in complete law and order in a
world which objectively exists, and which I, in a wildly speculative way, am
trying to capture. I hope that someone will discover a more realistic way;
or rather a more tangible basis than it has been my lot to find. Even the
great initial success of the Quantum Theory does not make me believe in the
fundamental dice-game, although I am well aware that our younger colleagues
interpret this as a consequence of senility. No doubt the day will come when
we will see whose instinctive attitude was the correct one."  (Albert
Einstein to Max Born, Sept 1944, 'The Born-Einstein Letters')

"On the basis of quantum theory there was obtained a surprisingly good
representation of an immense variety of facts which otherwise appeared
entirely incomprehensible. But on one point, curiously enough, there was
failure: it proved impossible to associate with these Schrödinger waves’
definite motions of the mass points - and that, after all, had been the
original purpose of the whole construction. The difficulty appeared
insurmountable until it was overcome by Born in a way as simple as it was
unexpected. The de Broglie-Schrodinger wave fields were not to be
interpreted as a mathematical description of how an event actually takes
place in time and space, though, of course, they have reference to such an
event. Rather they are a mathematical description of what we can actually
know about the system. They serve only to make statistical statements and
predictions of the results of all measurements which we can carry out upon
the system." (Quantum Mechanics, Albert Einstein, 1940)

"All attempts to represent the particle and wave features displayed in the
phenomena of light and matter, by direct recourse to a space time model,
have so far ended in failure. And Heisenberg has convincingly shown, from an
empirical point of view, that any decision as to a rigorously deterministic
structure of nature is definitely ruled out, because of the atomistic
structure of our experimental apparatus."  (Quantum Physics, Albert
Einstein, 1954)

So Einstein's problem was not that Heisenberg's uncertainty principle
allowed us to approximate reality, it was that we had to resort to
approximations at all.

Phil Nisbet