[Vision2020] School System

Reynolds, James jreynold at vetmed.wsu.edu
Wed Dec 14 13:47:36 PST 2005

I am in agreement with Monday's editorial in the Daily News concerning
the curriculum in our secondary schools. We are a diverse community and
cannot all expect to want nor be able to excel in the same areas of
study. Our schools need to broaden the curriculum to prepare the
students who do not want to go, and college bound students. This is the
main point of contention with the No-Child-Left-Behind policies. How can
we expect all of our children to meet the same expectations in the same
subject areas? Is that type of measure beneficial or hurtful to our
children and society? Do we want to punish children and the schools they
attend because the child doesn't have the interest or ability to
comprehend math or science or do we want to find where that child's
interest lie? I think we would do better for our community and our
children if we put our emphasis on allowing all students to achieve in
the field where they show talent and have a more malleable attitude
about subjects where they struggle.

Moscow educational facilities need a working over. I can't understand
doubt in that regard; we need better schools if our children are going
to meet the challenges in front of them. The High-school in particular
is woefully inadequate. We find ourselves considering spending millions
on ball fields for our children out of association with the school
system. Our High-School should have those fields on its grounds and we
should supply the children quality Sports pedagogy for their well being.
They should be educated in the importance of having an active life by
professional educators who realize that sports for children should be
primarily aimed at improving the physical health of the children and
used to develop sportsmanship. These two areas, health and
sportsmanship, are not trivial matters; they are as important as
anything else for the wellbeing and success of our children and our
community.

Not only should we bring back the physical education to our schools but,
as the editorial said, we should prepare those children who do not want
to (or can't) go to college for their lives. We should have a full
spectrum of shop, technology, agriculture and automotive classes on our
new High-school grounds.

All of the people pushing for the expenditure of the new playfield
should change the game to support a new High-school with a fully
equipped sports program. How nice would it be if we could go to our
high-school and watch our children play baseball, football, soccer or
track and field? It really is kind of pathetic what we have now. I think
we should make 2006 the year that Moscow came together in support of our
children and our community.

James Reynolds

1424 Borah ave