[Vision2020] Einstein and Quantum Mechanics

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Dec 14 10:51:52 PST 2005

Greetings:

I was really surprised at an error in Phil Nisbet's most recent
post.  Einstein did not develop quantum mechanics; it was Werner Heisenberg
who did so.  In fact, Einstein fought the implications of quantum theory
all of his life. His most famous quip on the matter was "God does not play
dice with the universe."  Sadly for Einstein, the evidence for the truth of
the theory keeps piling up year by year, and physicists still do not have a
way, except for the highly speculative string theory, to reconcile
relativity and quantum mechanics.

I've read Phil's most recent response to me, but I've decided not to engage
him on the issues of Hebrew Bible and traditional Judaism.  By the way, I
heard the great Jewish literary critic and Bible scholar Harold Bloom refer
to the Hebrew Bible on a "Fresh Air" program the other night.  Does that
make him anti-Semetic, Phil? He, too, like all scholars within the Society
for Biblical Literature, separates the study the Hebrew scriptures from the
Rabbinic interpretation of them.  That's all that I'm asking Phil to do,
but he does not care to listen.

Nick Gier

"The god you worship is the god you deserve."
~~ Joseph Campbell