[Vision2020] 12-13-05 Daily News: Reply to Peters [Kirkland]

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 21:10:23 PST 2005

John D

Kirsten is a geologist as well as a reporter.  The article she wrote
discussing the variance between views held by geologists and biologists is
one of the reasons I have posted similar discussions on V2020.  Neither
Kirsten Peters nor I would suggest that evolution is not reality; we are
simply stating facts about evolution that are demonstrated by the fossil
record.  The facts are that Darwin’s ideas of gradualism are simply not
shown to happen in real data.  Punctuated equilibrium is how evolution
happens and that is amply demonstrated in the rocks.  That is in support of
evolution, not an attempt to denigrate it.

When Darwin wrote, the science was just beginning.  The fossil record
available to him was very limited and of course the very concept of genetics
was not much of a science either.  The point is that we have passed beyond
Darwin and teaching his ideas should be nothing more than a history of
science coursenote.

If you read the article produced by the two Biologists, they are suggesting
that natural selection and gradualism can be demonstrated, though they are
accepting that data showing punctuated equilibrium is valid.  The trouble
with this approach is that there is actually no data for gradualism and no
proof that it ever occurs, which leaves room for those pitching unscientific
ideas as equivalent to evolution to attack evolutionary science as
unscientific.

The proof of that is in the response of Larry Kirkland who demands of the
biologists a production of proof for Darwinian Evolution and then suggests
that if they can not provide it this makes creationism valid.  Of course
they can not provide proof of something that does not occur, but that does
not invalidate evolution, simply the very old ideas of Darwin's which have
been supplanted.

To put this in terms of physics, the fact that Einstein developed quantum
mechanics to supplant Newtonian mechanics does not invalidate the existence
of matter and energy in the universe.

Of further worry to many of us in geology is that strict Darwinian
evolutionary claims lead to Social Darwinism, the idea that man himself can
select out what he thinks are ‘bad’ traits and seek and gain perfection of
the species.  The trouble with such ideas is that evolution loves to snuff
out overspecialized species that have become over adapted.  Ubermench
species tend to become extinct; it’s the very diverse ones that survive
change over geological time.  Diversity is the long term solution to the
continued existence of man, something that is very good to remind a bigot of
when next you hear them rant.

Phil Nisbet