[Vision2020] City Council's selective compassion

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Tue Dec 13 18:16:06 PST 2005

On 13 Dec 2005, at 07:08, g. crabtree wrote:

> Miss Opyr, You and Mr. Hansen seem to have overlooked the line in my
> communiqué that read "What he did with it subsequently..." however it
> seems clear to me that further discussion would be an intrusion on the
> little mutual admiration society that you and your chums have going
> here, and far be it from me to try and disrupt your quaint little
> notions of "fairness."
> Gee Crabtree
>
> P.S. With regard to the business proposal you mentioned, wouldn't this
> simply be a change in scope as opposed to function?

My goodness, how prim.  Please, call me Joan.  My copy of Emily Post's
Book of Etiquette (circa 1934) tells me that as a "divorcee," I am no
longer a "Miss."  My copy of Betty Friedan's The Feminine Mystique
tells me that what I'm a "Ms.," and that, in fact, is the title I
prefer.  Technically, I suppose you could address me as "The Reverend
Joan Opyr," as I am an ordained minister of the Universal Life Church
(www.ulc.org), but I've never been one to stand on ceremony -- not when
I can tap dance.

So, in your opinion, my objection to Dan Mack's kicking 14 families out
of their homes represents a "quaint little notion of fairness?"  Then I
can only surmise that you own rather than rent on Planet Scrooge.
Quaint isn't the term I would use to describe Mack's actions -- or City
Council's and the County's complicity -- I prefer the words cruelty,
injustice, and dirty dealing.  I have compared the Mack Renaissance
Trailer Park case to the Wilson NSA case, and what I have found is that
the City doesn't give a rat's ass about citizens unless they're rich,
powerful, or part of the Old Boys' Network.  I don't know if you're
part of the Old Boys' Network or not; I don't especially care.  If you
believe that landlords should be free to run amok over the rights of
tenants, then I think you need a chain-rattling visit from Jacob
Marley's ghost.  There's libertarianism, and then there's just plain
meanness.

Gee Whiz.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: You sound kind of peevish.  Is this something that Fletcher's
Castoria might handle or should Tom and I pretend to stop agreeing with
one another?  The latter, I fear, is not very likely, but the former
will only cost you a mere $6 a bottle at Rite-Aid.  I'm willing to kick
in half if you think it will improve your temper.  How about it, Tom --
want to donate the other $3?