[Vision2020] 12-13-05 Daily News: Reply to Peters [Kirkland]

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Tue Dec 13 17:39:35 PST 2005

KIrkland on Intelligent Design: Trib 12/13From:  Daily News, 12-13-05

COLUMN: Synergism between geology and biology

Mike Webster and Olle Pellmyr

Teaching evolution has been in the news quite a bit lately. At a national level, state school boards are waging battles over evolution in science classes, with politicians from President Bush on down weighing in on the issue. More locally, controversy arose recently when University of Idaho President Tim White announced evolution is "the only curriculum that is appropriate to be taught in our bio-physical science courses." As the instructors for two of the primary university level evolution courses here on the Palouse, we concur with President White.
In a Nov. 26 Daily News column, E. Kirsten Peters added her voice to the local debate. We were happy that Peters introduced her readers to some of the important contributions of geology to our understanding of evolution. However, we also were very puzzled by her assertion biologists and geologists disagree on what evolution is. We are both biologists, but have numerous friends and colleagues in geology with whom we have co-taught courses on evolution, and one of us even has a geologist for a father - never have we had a fundamental disagreement with any of them over the nature or validity of evolutionary change.

Rather, most scientists (biologists and geologists alike, along with those in other disciplines) agree on the central tenets of evolution: that living organisms today have descended with modification from common ancestral species, and that one key mechanism (but not the only mechanism) for evolutionary change is the process of natural selection. These tenets have survived a century and a half of rigorous scientific testing since they were first laid out by Darwin. Indeed, our understanding of evolution has been greatly strengthened over the years with insights gained from genetics, developmental biology, geology, and numerous other fields.

To be sure, scientists disagree and argue with each other about many of the details of evolution. This is the nature of science: researchers develop competing hypotheses for how a process (like evolution) works, repeatedly test and retest these hypotheses, and eventually come to some agreement as failed hypotheses are discarded and others (those that survive the testing) are accepted.

We were somewhat dismayed by Peters' article because it took an argument over the details of evolution - whether it occurs gradually or in fits-and-starts - and inflated that argument to imply that biologists and geologists disagree over the fundamental nature and validity of evolution. Peters further implied biologists do not teach the geological view of evolution. This came as a surprise to us, given we teach these topics (and other scientific controversies) in our own courses. And we are not alone; these topics are integral parts of all major textbooks on evolution. Moreover, the "disagreement" Peters highlights has grown far less controversial over time as data has been gathered. It is now clear that evolution often proceeds gradually and at other times in fits-and-start. The current frontier is to better understand what leads to these differences.

Why do we care? Because the debate about the teaching of evolution is fueled by widespread misconceptions among the American public about evolution and the scientific support for it; articles that misrepresent valid scientific disagreements as fundamental disagreements about the basic nature of evolution only add to the public confusion.

Science classes routinely cover competing hypotheses and, where appropriate, present evidence supporting or negating those hypotheses. This was the message behind President White's position on the teaching of evolution: competing ideas and hypotheses that have been repeatedly tested and supported belong in the science classroom. Those that have been tested and failed, or are not scientifically testable in the first place (such as religious ideas), do not belong there. Nonscientific explanations clearly can be taught in other courses, such as philosophy and comparative religions, but not in science classes where testability is key.

Evolutionary biology, drawing from geology, biology and all other branches of natural science, is a strong and vibrant science, not least here on the Palouse (both UI and Washington State University have strengths in this area of science). As there is synergism between our universities, there is synergism between geology and biology in assembling knowledge about the physical world. And that is a good thing for modern society.

For more on public misconceptions about evolution and links to other Web sites on evolutionary biology, visit www.wsu.edu/~mweb/evolution/.

* Mike Webster is an associate professor at the Washington State University School of Biological Sciences and Olle Pellmyr is an associate professor at the University of Idaho Department of Biological Sciences.