[Vision2020] HIV in Moscow: Our myopic reaction

John Akers aker9783 at uidaho.edu
Tue Dec 13 17:22:11 PST 2005

This HIV situation is horrible and scary. I’m worried, however, that
our myopic reaction is making it bigger and bader than it really is.
Shelly is right, we shouldn’t bury our heads in the sand (or snow), on
this issue. However, hyperbole is not the answer either.

HIV testing and education are absolutely necessary. We must respect
individuals’ privacy (HEAR ME KLEW!), and offer safe, caring support.
What is done is done. The next step is to get people tested so that we
limit further spread.

This is an enlightening experience. Every person in this community who
has behaved irresponsibly in the past has, no doubt, learned a powerful
lesson. Let’s do more than just hope the impact is small; let's find
out for sure, thus ridding ourselves of a possible stigma. Let’s
accomplish this by maintaining a safe environment by caring about
privacy and safety. If people feel that their confidentiality is
jeopardized, they will not get tested. Thank you, Phil and Shelly, for
being proactive and prosocial through all of this.