[Vision2020] City Council's selective compassion

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Dec 13 12:22:00 PST 2005

Gee Crabtree -

No disruption at all, and I didn’t overlook the line from your communiqué.
In fact, I affirmed it: “Dan Mack could have done whatever he wanted with
his property.” However, you overlooked that Mack predicated his subsequent
actions, i.e. eviction and demolition, on the proposed blueprint that he
showed to P&Z and City Council, which they could have denied.

It is conceivable that Mack would have razed the trailer park just for the
hell of it, if City Council did not grant him approval. It’s a free country,
and there are no laws against being a jackass. "No Clue" Farris proves this.

But it is equally conceivable that City Council could have said, “No, Mr.
Mack, we do not grant you approval,” and, given this scenario, poor Dan Mack
wouldn’t have gone to the Daily News asking people to feel sorry for him
because he had to move all that trash off his property.

To answer your question, yes, Mack proposed a change in scope to his legal
use. And to reiterate the point that you have not conceded, City Council had
no obligation to grant Mack approval of his enlarged scope that would result
in hardship on his tenants, just as City Council has no obligation to amend
the Comprehensive Plan and the Zoning Code to accommodate NSA’s habitual
violations.

Now, I answered your question, but you have not answered mine. Is it fair
and equitable for City Council to require NSA’s neighbors to provide parking
for an illegal non-commercial use, when the depletion of those parking
stalls will result in those businesses losing sales?

Here, let me simplify if for you. Is it fair and equitable of City Council
to punish NSA’ neighbors in order to remedy NSA’s third zoning violation?

Take care, Moscow.

“I think one of the best ways to support education is to make successful
private schools like Logos prosper through tax exemption.”

- Donovan Arnold (July 11, 2005)

>From: "g. crabtree" <jampot at adelphia.net>
>To: "Joan Opyr" <joanopyr at moscow.com>, "Tom Hansen" <thansen at moscow.com>
>CC: vision2020 at moscow.com
>Subject: Re: [Vision2020] City Council's selective compassion
>Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:08:08 -0800
>
>Miss Opyr, You and Mr. Hansen seem to have overlooked the line in my
communiqu that read "What he did with it subsequently..." however it seems
clear to me that further discussion would be an intrusion on the little
mutual admiration society that you and your chums have going here, and far
be it from me to try and disrupt your quaint little notions of "fairness."