[Vision2020] Nation Building and Phil Nisbet's Misunderstandings part 2

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 13 04:40:19 PST 2005

Nick,

You wrote

“As an addendum, I forgot to add one more item to Phil's misunderstandings.
I did not call him a "biblical absolutist."  I said that he was like Doug
Wilson in that he summarily rejects standard scholarship on Judaism just as
Wilson rejects all biblical scholarship.  Similarity is not necessarily
identity.”

I have absolutely nothing in common with Doug Wilson.  The only reason you
make such a reference, Nick, is to try to denigrate me.  The reference is
specifically galling because the fault involved is largely your own.

You, Nick, have made many claims here on this list, speaking from authority,
which are flat out outside the norm of scholarship.  Below you will find
several quite normal historical versions of what I have suggested in my
postings from the net.  You can also refer to discussions from Bamberger’s
“The Story of Judaism”, Johnson’s “A History of the Jews” and a host of
other scholarly works.

http://www.beingjewish.com/yomtov/chanukah/history.html

http://users.aristotle.net/~bhuie/pharsadd.htm

http://www.sacred-texts.com/jud/t10/ht104.htm

http://www.billwilliams.org/Scrolls/scrolls.html

You had stated that what you deemed to be original Jewish thought was
against life after death and based your argument on Sadducee ideas as you
understand them.  You stated that these were original truths from the First
Temple period because the Sadducees were from an older school of thought.
You then stated that my correcting you was wrong because simply everybody
agreed with you, even Jewish scholars you knew.

The fact is that what I stated was not ‘special Jewish knowledge’ as you
suggest its actually current thinking in Jewish studies and in most bible
studies.

The Sadducees were a group of Hellenized upper class folks who subscribed to
Epicurean ideas during the period of the Second temple.  That is the
generally accepted scholarship.

Your attempt to suggest that Judaism did not believe in certain things based
on the Sadducees refusal to accept the Talmudic oral law traditions is a
rejection of standard scholarship.  The Sadducees attempted to add Greek
ideas to Judaism in order to hold their positions as satraps to the
Alexandrian regime in Syria and that is why we Jews celebrate Hanukah every
year, because their ideas were roundly rejected at the point of a sword by
the lower and middle classes of the country they were trying to rule for the
Greeks.  That is understood by the bulk of those who study that period of
history.

There is a splinter group in scholarship that hold your ideas, but in order
to do so they have rejected all Talmudic statements on the subject and base
their premise not on historical documents, but on their own ideas about
origins.  I find that interesting, since it’s the same sort of approach used
by your former student Mr. Wilson in his ideas about Slavery in the US.
It’s a funny old world, now ain’t it just?  “Similarity is not necessarily
identity.”, now is it?

You have accused me of being anti-Gentile, because I reject your ideas.  The
above list of sources I provide include both Jewish and Christian sources
and they are not in agreement with you Nick, even though they are biblical
scholarship.  Are they all anti-Gentile?

In another posting you place my name in the same paragraph as a rant against
anti-intellectualism and then backtrack to claim that you were not inferring
that I was part of the rest of the paragraph.  Interesting, since you also
backtrack to claim I am only “similar” to Doug Wilson or to biblical
absolutists after including me in a paragraph.  You will have to excuse me
for seeing those writings as ploys rather than real refutations of what I
have written.  That is not the way a scholar handles discussion, which is
the principle reason I have rebuked you in the past.

This whole thing began because your good friend Ralph chose as his secular
humanist subject to state that Jews sold their daughters into slavery.  The
fact that the statement is not correct from the original text or from what
the Talmud has to say on the subject is the problem.  In order for him to
get where he wanted to go in a condemnation of Wilson’s premises on slavery,
he was making flat out anti-Semitic commentary.

The Torah reference deals with contracts for the bonding of daughters.
Since a marriage contract in a polygamist society is what the actual text
was dealing with, not slavery as we know it, saying that Jews of the period
sold their daughters into slavery was simply wrong.  Children in that
society were held as the property of their father until they reached
maturity, which for girls was first Menes or about 12 years of age.  Prior
to that time a father could enter into a marriage or concubinage agreement
without a child’s approval and unlike a son who might be ‘sold’ into an
apprenticeship, the contract for marriage was binding for a lifetime.  Later
portions of Torah Text and discussions in the Talmud deal with ways that a
daughter so contracted could get out of such a paternal agreement and it is
also quite specific that once a girl was 12 she had final say on who she
would marry.

Now you can disagree with how Jewish Law handled marriage and children below
the age of consent 2000-3000 years ago, but they were not selling their
daughters into slavery to make a buck.  That’s the kind of out of context
thing that Neo-Nazi websites spew and is clearly anti-Semitic.  I called
your buddy on what he wrote and got back a group of statements which went
even further down this particular road.

You entered this particular fray to backup your friend, but the truth of the
matter is that what you propose to do so is outside the bounds of normal
scholarship on the subject.  I have noticed a similar tendency of avoiding
inconvenient facts in political discussions in which you engage and a
general tendency to gloss over cases in which people point out false
statements that you make in consequence.  That is a great way to deal with
things as a propagandist, but is not scholarly.

Phil Nisbet