[Vision2020] Nation Building and Phil Nisbet's Misunderstandings

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Mon Dec 12 09:25:27 PST 2005

Greetings:

Phil addressed his most recent post to John D., but I was mentioned as
well.  It was Phil who falsely called me an isolationist, but I came out of
the closet as a supporter of Jimmy Carter. His position was that we should
support human rights around the world rather than support any tin horn
dictator as long as he could give any of our enemies a bad time.

Of course I believe in nation building, but you don't build a rogue nation
by destroying it.  Rather you isolate it diplomatically and
economically.  (As I stated in my response to Phil, Saddam was isolated,
contained, and disarmed by two rounds of UN inspectors.) And another thing:
You don't bring down the Burmese dictators by buying shirts and hats from
them for the last Republican campaign.

We have limited resources and opportunities, so we cannot focus on every
single tyrant.  We also have to be realistic.  I would love to see the
Dalai Lama back in the Potala Palace in Lhasa, but he will not live forever
and when he dies the Chinese will install their own Dalai Lama using their
own Tibetans monks to "authenticate" the process.  They already have their
own Panchen Lama in Beijing waiting to serve their future Dalai Lama as his
right-hand man.

As an addendum, I forgot to add one more item to Phil's
misunderstandings.  I did not call him a "biblical absolutist."  I said
that he was like Doug Wilson in that he summarily rejects standard
scholarship on Judaism just as Wilson rejects all biblical
scholarship.  Similarity is not necessarily identity.

Nick Gier