[Vision2020] "forbidding stores"?

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Fri Dec 9 10:42:53 PST 2005

The Seattle newspapers recently ran a story about calls for people of faith
to stay away from WalMart, especially during the holidays, by asking "Where
Would Jesus Shop?"  Not surprisingly, a local blogmeister on the pro-WalMart
front (because his virulent Libertarianism is surpassed only by his concern
for the poor, it appears), has suggested today that what we liberal people
of faith want is to "forbid stores from saving poor people $2300 a year" --
and so we oppose WalMart.

We evidently don't want to stop stores THAT save poor people money, like
WalMart; now we want to keep stores FROM saving the poor money.  As part of
a breathtakingly unprecedented political and social movement, folks like me
are trying to now shame all stores for ever lowering their prices, so
vicious is our disregard for the poor, and only by denying them a WalMart
can we fully show the depth of our contempt.  I guess Tri-State's Dutch
Auction is next in my sites . . .

I'm glad we have this guy to keep you all informed of what we religious
lefties are doing, because our scheme is getting so complicated, I can
hardly keep up.  Pity.  For me it seemed so simple once:  spending money on
stuff to celebrate the birth of a homeless, itinerate Savior seems like a
contradiction, and spending money at places that exploit people seems like
an affirmation, if not a collaboration, in that oppression.

This year I bought the majority of gifts from Third-World artisans, knowing
they were fairly paid.  (Someone hand Dale a tissue; I know MY nose always
runs when I laugh too much).  I confess that the Far Side Gallery and the
power drill for my kids and husband were not produced by indigenous worker
co-ops, but I think God likes the Far Side and also wants the door to the
garage to shur properly.  Some guy from eBay and a seller from Amazon
benefited, and I don't feel too bad.  Still, the point of Christmas for me
is Christ, and the goal is to honor the poor.  I can't quite fit WalMart or
excessive consumerism into that . . .

keely