[Vision2020] Playfields

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Wed Dec 7 12:02:45 PST 2005

Jeff, I think you and I agree on almost everything you have said here.

I am not sure what your point about a "shared resource" in the arboretum is,
however.  It seems to me that part of the ambience of that resource is the
solitude.  However, I agree that the ballfields ought to be able to be built
with sound curtailed through directional engineering or abolition/limitation
of the sound system.  I enjoyed huge/multiple softball and soccer field
parks in Forest Park in St. Louis, and they worked just fine without a sound
system, big tournaments and all.

In short, a park with ball fields seems like a great idea that nobody is
opposing, it is the scale/lights/sound that is drawing objections.  I think
we ought to be able to get the community together on this one, both the
ballfield seeking community at large and the most-impacted immediate
neighborhood, which will be getting a treasure if this is done right -- as
you point out.  Sound and lights can be eliminated, or modified with
concurrence of the local neighborhood -- if we engineer this correctly.

I really don't think that we have to ram this down the throats of the local
neighborhood and that it can be peaceably worked out in timely fashion, not
delaying it for years as some fear.  A can-do attitude and willingness to
discuss options in the interest of all should make this proposal acceptable
to all and of benefit to all.

I agree that we need the ballfields in this community.  Let's do them, and
in a way so they work for all.

Bruce Livingston