[Vision2020] 400 Verizon Employees vs. Area Growth

Pat Kraut pkraut at moscow.com
Wed Dec 7 09:56:27 PST 2005

Oh! Yes! I remember GTE. I would agree that between the two buildings,
downtown and on Howard street there were maybe close to 400 at peak times
but they were spread out during the day because it was 24 hours. Downtown on
main the office people were there pretty much 8 to 5 and I do remember
parking issues. When they took down the last building and made the parking
behind the offices I know the conversations were that parking would be less
of a problem downtown. The lot behind the Daily News was houses with just a
small lot until the 1990 something's. I believe the News tries to keep that
lot for their employees. Parking was an issue when I first moved here in the
1960's because of Penny's and Davids and all the food places and no opening
of the downtown area. One of the arguments against the square and the
blocking of traffic was parking because several spots are blocked there. I
have never been able to put my finger on the full problem. Some blame
employees of various business's or those who go to eat and don't leave and
it is an argument that has been on going no matter how much they open up new
spots. A reading of the archives of the newspaper would show you how long it
has actually been happening but I am sure that NSA did not start the
problem.
Anyone else remember Santa appearing in a helicopter in that spot in back of
the GTE building? It was long before trees and stuff but it was great fun
for my small town boys.