[Vision2020] John D, General Solutions

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 2 19:48:00 PST 2005

John

Sorry about all the typos on the last post.

The key to solving the problem would be to set up a Joint Review Process for
planning that got all the permitting groups together in one space to
streamline the process.  A one stop shop for all the permits that a project
would require and simultaneous hearing of all concerns in a fixed time frame
would vastly improve our ability to get new industry and industry expansions
done.  It would also allow better control on compliance issues and make sure
that the permits are all dovetailed.

Another area that we could do for improvement would be planning in advance
for where we want new industry to go.  Pre-Zoning would allow us to
encourage development where we have the infrastructure and reduce the delays
inherent in constantly having to rezone for every new plan or plant.

Both of those things could make us a much more desirable place for
businesses to look at moving to.  Neither of them would be selective of what
industries we may want to be here, but would make the work that an industry
we did want easier in terms of choosing us instead of some other place.

Phil Nisbet