[Vision2020] Daily News Cancellation Letter

Joseph Campbell josephc at wsu.edu
Wed Aug 31 09:44:37 PDT 2005

Kai Eiselein wrote:
> Donovan dribbles, looks, looks again....nobody open....he pulls
> up.....shoots the tre from wayyyyy back...........IT"S GOOOD! 3 points from
> DOOOOOOOOWN TOOOOOWN!!!!!!

Wait! On further review it turns out that Mr. Arnold missed the point after
all!

It is a sure sign of desperation if the only way that conservatives can
rebut the points of liberals is to question their sincerity.

I think that Rose and Wayne and I made it clear enough but in the event that
we didn't surely Saundra did by writing "And, no, my complaint doesn't
relate to [Iverson's] "positions" -- I always enjoy a *good* philosophical
debate -- but rather to the pathetic philosophical mistakes he makes.  In
short, he gives philosophy a bad name."

I am a professional philosopher. I regularly debate with theists, atheists,
skeptics, pantheists, materialists, idealists, solipsists, Marxists,
anarchists, and plain old everyday folk (since I am employed at a state
university). My whole life's work is based on discoursing with people with
whom I disagree. In general, I love it. We can only figure out what we truly
believe if we talk to all people, the ones that share our own opinions and
the ones that hold opinions that we (at least initially) regard as absurd.
It is impossible to get published in good philosophy journals unless one
fully understands one's opponents. Plus, as Saundra said, I always enjoy a
good philosophical debate!

The issue is not that I disagree with Iverson, which I do. It is that
Iverson does not deserve a weekly column. He "gives philosophy a bad name."
He is heartless, offensive, and unable to see beyond his own perspective.
That he is given a weekly column shows how slanted the Daily News has
become.

(The careful reader will note a lack of any particular criticisms of
Iverson's latest column. That is because I sent a letter to the Daily News
about it on Saturday and I don't want to spoil things by revealing the
content of the letter here. Perhaps I should say just a little for those who
no longer get the Daily News: It turns out that Iverson's view on the nature
of morality is both naïve -- since he considers only two such views -- and
contradictory -- since the first view, which he accepts, entails the second
view, which he rejects. More to come in the surprising event that the Daily
News does not print my letter!)