[Vision2020] In Defense of Phil Nisbet

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 30 22:07:37 PDT 2005

Andreas,

You wrote:

"Faith cannot be studied objectively (though, of
course, you can ask what people believe), but texts --
all texts -- most certainly can."

I agree. However, IMHO, the Bible loses 95% of its
value when it is not used as a basis of faith. I know
many people try to use the Bible as a source for
governmental structure, social engineering, science,
medical advice and history. However, I think using
"The Book" for those purposes is like using the Bible
as the user guide for my Olympus VN-480 Digital
Recorder.

The Bible, is meant to strengthen faith. To study it
in an academic fashion and claim a superior knowledge
of religion or the intended purpose of the Bible is
like reading Genesis and claiming a superior knowledge
of Anatomy and Geology.

The Bible can ONLY be properly comprehended with
faith.

Donovan J Arnold