[Vision2020] Clearing out more problems for Phil

Ralph Nielsen nielsen at uidaho.edu
Tue Aug 30 11:18:28 PDT 2005

[Vision2020] And clearing out just one more problem for Ralph

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 30 03:29:05 PDT 2005

Ralph quoting: "There is not a hint of [life after death] in the
Torah, or in most
of the [Hebrew] Bible. There, human death is final. ... With the
possible exceptions of Elijah and Enoch, all biblical personalities
die and their death is final." (Etz Hayim; Torah and Commentary.
Jewish Publication Society, 2000. p. 1436).

Ralph: “I also challenged Mr. Nisbet (or anyone else) to show us one
single
person in the Tanakh who died and went to heaven. We are still waiting.”

Phil: You actually provided your own answer Ralph.  Enoch.  Nice
going.  It’s
actually verse in B’Rashit that sends him directly to G-d without dying.
What’s fairly interesting about that of course is that actually,
considering
when the final version was redacted, it may have been more influenced
than
the stronger statements in Samuel, which was redacted to its current
form
much before it.

Phil: Your reference from the Conservative volume is also interesting
in what if
fails to insert.  It mentions that Elijah is taken whole to G-d, but
fails
to mention that during his life Elijah resurrected a person already
dead.
If there is no after life, no Olam HaBa, then where was the dead person
prior to returning from something deemed to be final?  How can death be
final if Elijah can bring you back from it or if like Samuel you can
speak
as a spirit to those who are in the land of the living?

Ralph: You are confusing what Etz Hayim says about the Torah with my
question. Obviously, Elijah's raising a dead person is an exception
to the general rule, so you can write to the editors of Etz Hayim and
tell them so. And don't forget that the widow's son, whom Elijah
raised from the dead, had just died and was not yet buried. Nor was
he taken up to heaven. So it would seem that all Elijah had to do was
administer CPR.

Ralph: As for the "spirit" of Samuel, who/which was raised by the
witch of Endor, doesn't the text make it plain that we are dealing
with necromancy, which was forbidden (Deut. 18:11-12)? There are many
mediums about today who will also "communicate" with the dead,
usually for a fee.

Phil: Your challenge is also interesting in another respect.  What is
it that you
assume to be ‘heaven’?  Of course it is difficult to suggest that
anybody
has ever gone to ‘heaven’, since we have no idea what that place is.
There
are lots of speculations as to what happens, yet all we are actually
told is
that we can be gathered unto our people, taken to G-d as spirit or be
punished in the pit.  The reference to what sort of existence the
after life
is, is left vague and there are as many opinions as there are
individuals.

Ralph: You admit that Enoch was taken up to heaven alive. It is also
obvious that God didn't kill Elijah before carrying him up to heaven.
That makes a grand total of two persons in the entire Tanakh = Hebrew
Bible = Old Testament who went to heaven alive.

Ralph: My challenge was to show us (the readers of Vision 2020, in
case you haven't  guessed) how many people in the Tanakh died and
then went to heaven. As for what and where heaven is, both the Tanakh
and the New Testament tell us that it is above the clouds. Don't
forget that in those days the earth was considered to be flat, with
heaven above and Sheol below.

Phil: That is plainly different than insisting that there is no life
after we die,
just not telling us what that life will be.  Just as Stephen Hawking
suggests, we can not hope to see beyond the singularity and even if
we were
told what the great beyond was, what relative referent would we have to
comprehend it.

Ralph: Stephen Hawking was not discussing the Tanakh, was he?