[Vision2020] Just for you Tom

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 22:39:25 PDT 2005

Wayne

I seriously doubt that I need the education.

The original statement is actually older and within the writings in Tanahk,
circa 550 BCE and is redacted for a particular circumstance by Hillel while
dealing with the famous scoffer incident.

>From Lev 19:18 "You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against your
countrymen. Love your fellow as yourself: I am the LORD."

However Hillel's version was study text for almost all of the various
sectarians in Israel at the begining of the common era and I know of no
scholar who would claim that Hillel's statement of the idea was not the one
which both Jesus and Paul would have been familiar and used in their own
statements of the principle.

There are several different cultural versions, some older and some younger,
but all falling in the same time frame.  However the version used in the
Xtian works would be from its sourcing in Leviticus and in Hillel, since I
seriously doubt that the Zorastrian statement of the thesis would have been
a common usage in Israel in 20-33 CE.

Now it might be fun to discuss the variation of Talmidic use of the negative
case of the idea versus the positivistic use that is christian.  My personal
feeling is that the negative case is gentler and leads to a far less
combative understanding of how one should treat his neighbors.  I would love
Nick's take on end results that the assumption that because you want it your
neighbor must want the exact same thing can lead to in a statement of the
Golden Rule.  Buddahist, Zorastrian and Jewish statements are all in the
negative.  Islam and Christianity chose the positive expression of the idea.

Now I will grant you that if Carl wanted to give me Angelina Jolie, that
could indeed be a pretty positve thing, but I am sure that it would spark
major resentment in Carl.  But in the negative case, its hard to go wrong,
since none of use really want to be hurt or destroyed or damaged beyond
repair, so not doing that to another is obviously not something that should
cause resentment.  And that does not even go into the crazied pathological
SOBs who might like to be hurt beaten and destroyed and are perfectly
willing to do unto others as well, that are a definate problem in a
postivist statement of the Rule.

Are you following this so far Wayne?

Phil Nisbet