[Vision2020] Just for you Tom

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 26 21:44:49 PDT 2005

"If I am not for myself, then who will be for me? And if I am only for
myself, then what am I? And if not now, when?"

Hillel the Elder (Pirkei Avot 1:14)  Babylonian Talmud circa 5 B.C.E.

The paraphrased version simply removes the initial statements and uses the
later statement "And if not now, when?"  without it original context.  You
Xtians have been doing that sort of thing for centuries.

Another example?

"What is hateful to thee, do not unto thy fellow man: this is the whole Law;
the rest is mere commentary"   Hillel the Elder (Shab. 31a) Babylonian
Talmud

Your guy Jesus high graded that and turned it into your Golden Rule.

Or Maybe you would like

"Judge not thy neighbor till thou art in his place" Hillel the Elder (Avot
ii. 4)

Hillel was the founder of Rabbinic Judaism and wrote from 30 BCE until his
death in 10 CE.