[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President White (August 26, 2005)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Aug 26 05:42:40 PDT 2005

Copied and pasted below is today's (August 26, 2005) UI Friday Letter from
UI President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Aug. 26, 2005

Dear Friends,

Fall semester 2005 is underway and it's wonderful to share in the excitement
for the new semester. The beginning of the academic year is the basis of the
enduring spirit of the University of Idaho, and our students bring with them
an infusion of ideas, enthusiasm, expectations and aspirations. I share
their optimism for the year, and for the future.

One highlight of the new academic year is the opening of the Teaching and
Learning Center. It is a wonderful, innovative facility that significantly
enhances our residential campus and further elevates our leadership in
technology. We will hold a ceremony to dedicate the new facility Thursday,
Sept. 29, and I invite all of you to attend. It will be a kickoff event to
Homecoming.

I want to extend my condolences to the family, colleagues and friends of
Professor Gary Alexander, who passed away last week from cancer. Gary joined
the University in 1992, and was a professor of educational leadership at UI
Boise. His dedication to education was felt throughout southern Idaho.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:
University of Idaho leaders and researchers will bring together regional
experts, elected officials and community members in the first local
sustainable transportation conference Sept. 22-23, at the Idaho Commons
building. The National Institute for Advanced Transportation Technology's
Sustainability Conference will present the opportunity for groups to work
together on transportation problems of local and regional interest. The
conference features keynote speakers, workshops and discussions on
integrating environmentally friendlier transportation at the UI and around
the region.

Nancy Krogh, registrar from the University of North Dakota, has been named
registrar for the University of Idaho. Krogh assumes her new position Oct.
15. Krogh served as UND registrar since 2000. Prior to that, she was
registrar and director of institutional research at Rocky Mountain College
in Montana. "We are pleased to have Nancy join UI," said Linda Morris, UI
vice provost of academic affairs. "She has been an innovative and
outstanding leader in her previous positions, bringing together diverse
groups of people to accomplish academic priorities successfully. She
understands curriculum issues and how the role of the registrar meshes with
faculty and student needs."

The Steer-A-Year program is one of the unique ways to support the UI. The
Lanting family of Twin Falls has supported the program by donating a steer
each year since 1993. The steers are raised by the UI Beef Center and
measured for growth performance. They are sold when they reach market weight
and the proceeds fund scholarships for students interested in beef cattle
and beef cattle research, and for Vandal student-athletes. The program has
raised more than $400,000 for scholarship in the past 16 years. To read more
about the Lanting family, visit:

http://www.uidahofoundation.org/default.aspx?pid=84527#gift4

For more information on the Steer-a-Year program, contact Carl Hunt at
(208) 885-6932 or chunt at uidaho.edu.

Take care, Moscow.

Tom Hansen

"What is objectionable, what is dangerous, about extremists is not that they
are extreme, but that they are intolerant. The evil is not what they say
about their cause, but what they say about their opponents."

-- Robert F. Kennedy