[Vision2020] Christ Church racism charges

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Thu Aug 25 16:43:20 PDT 2005

Speaking as someone who has debated, confronted, and spoken publicly about
the many problems with Christ Church's doctrine, emphases, conduct and other
things I believe to be wrongful, I would say that while I think there's a
smugness that can give rise to racist behavior, I don't believe that Doug
Wilson, et al, are actively and determinedly racist, nor do I believe them
to be neo-Nazis.

Don't believe, however, that I am in any way defending them, and please read
further . . .

This is not a defense, since I believe, and have written before, that what
I've seen from the Kirk is worse even than racism.  I see offenses stemming
from an elitist, patriarchal, affluent sense of arrogance and disregard for
others that makes them not only incapable of acknowledging the stain of
racism on  all of our conduct and throughout our society, but -- worse --
leads them to gloat in their lofty positions and jeer at those who would
question their actions.  This is what allows someone to write something as
inflammatory and vile as "Southern Slavery" -- the blissful and willful
ignorance of the damage that such garbage causes, and the perceived right to
laugh at and scorn those of us who would be appalled.  Not because we can't
take scorn, but because dismissing concerns about bigotry as silly and
muddle-headed  is at least as bad as simply being a bigot, and surely
reveals just as much.

People who hate other races write things like that because of an evil
mission to educate us all.  People who write such things simply because they
can, and who not only don't care about the fallout but actually laugh about
it, are willing to voice some of the arguments of the racist while at the
same time dismissing anyone who thinks that doing so is a big deal.  The
racist sincerely believes vicious and stupid things, and is rightly
condemned.  The man so bathed in privilege, position and power believes
vicious and stupid things, and laughs at his condemnation.  He couldn't care
less that anyone would accuse him of racism, so great is his contempt for
his community, and that, in my mind, is doubly offensive and utterly
disgraceful coming from the pulpit.

Lastly, I'd say that I have been disappointed that some of Moscow's most
progressive, liberal voices have been silent about the conduct of Christ
Church, just as I'm sure I've dropped the ball in not coming out against
things that others feel are important.  We all do what we can, I guess.
Still, while you can't always get what you want, you sure can end up with
what you allow to seep in through doors open equally wide to all ideas,
regardless of merit.

keely emerine mix