[Vision2020] Response to Nick on Education

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 23 15:12:30 PDT 2005

Nick

It’s always a pleasure to discuss things with people of high intellect when
comity is in use.

“Nick: I obviously hang around people very different from Phil.  I know a
lot of folks who have done an MA or even a PhD just for the sheer (not
Phil's "shear") joy of edification and personal gratification.  Some of our
brightest students attend liberal arts colleges where the curriculum is
designed not for a profession, but for responsible life in a liberal
democratic society.”

“UI students sleep and/or frown through a liberal arts core course because
our culture has not prepared for any sort of intellectual life at all.
Phil, we have designed the core curriculum precisely for those geological
oceanography students who believe that education is only a means to making
big bucks.  I was an oceanography major at Oregon State and they dragged me
kicking and screaming into my first English Comp. class.  After three terms
I learned how to write and think great thoughts, and I switched to
philosophy and religion and never looked back, even when my father said I
would not make any money.”

Phil:  Nick, I was referring to your articles statements regarding science
and engineering majors.  I would concur with you that in many of the fields
of the liberal arts the passion for learning is the major driving factor,
though for certain professions liberal arts degrees are just as much of a
ticket punching exercise.

When I finished my BSc in Geology at the University of Washington, I had 5
credits short of a degree in Mining Engineering, 10 credits short of a
degree in Math and 10 credits short of a degree in History.  I used to go to
classes at night as well as during the day, to fit in course opportunities
to study with guys like Donald Treadgold, the Dean of the History
Department.  Most of us science and engineering students took those courses
because we loved the knowledge and ideas, not because we needed the GUR’s.
There is no doubt in my mind that a well rounded education is one of the
most important elements in maintaining a republican tradition in society.

Most if not all of the geologists and engineers I know make far less money
than the English majors who headed for the banking industry or the
publishing industry.  For most of them, the profession itself is their fire
in the belly, not the dollars they will earn.  They fight to keep their jobs
to stay doing what they love, but if there are no jobs, regardless of pay,
they are forced into working in other fields.  That’s a tough row to hoe for
people who consider themselves professionals.

Nick: Recently Bill Gates bemoaned the fact that not enough American
students are studying computer science.  Contrary to Phil's claim, engineers
are in great demand, too.  School districts are bringing in Indian teachers
to teach math and science because our students are too lazy to major in
these disciplines.

Phil:  Bill Gates is always moaning about something.  Of course he and the
computer industry want the market flooded with spare parts, to whit, fresh
faces that can be hired cheaply.  I can still recall in Geology when the
supposed shortfall in students pushed schools to ramp up enrollments in the
late 1970’s, because we were supposedly going to run out of minerals.  It
glutted the market with geologists which depressed the pay levels very
nicely for a lot of companies.  By the mid-1980’s lots of those same guys
were back in school either re-training or getting advanced degrees, but by
the end of the 80’s, the schools were drastically cutting their programs.  U
of W has less than 10% of the students in their Geology program that they
had in the 1970’s.

I can see the same thing will happen if guys like Gates get their ways.
It’s great for the billionaire, but the pits for the poor guys who end up
having to work for him.  It’s far better for the schools to gear themselves
for turning out a steady stream of professionals, than to let the likes of
Gates or other elements of big business dictate the flow of people through
the doors of higher learning.

Nick: I did make any general claims on this issue.  I simply quoted Toyota
officials that the main reason they chose to put the plant Canada was the
education level of Southern American workers.

Phil:  I gladly amend my comment Nick.  Toyota’s statement is hogwash.  It
has nothing to do with educational attainment in Southern States and even
less to do with others suggestions that they get free medical in Canada.  I
do a fair amount of cross-border work and the principle reasons for doing
so, even though paychecks in Canada are actually higher than here in the USA
and the Tax rates are higher as well, is that building a plant is not tied
up in Red Tape in Canada.  People forget that when you decide to build a
plant it’s to take immediate advantage of a market and that deciding to do
so ties up capital.  Protracted delays in being able to get something done
cost both in getting products to market and in capital costs that can make a
project turn from positive IRR to negative in a hurry.  When a plant takes 7
years to permit here in the USA and only a year in Canada, no company will
not chose Canada, even if there are higher requirements for all other
things.

Nick:  We also spend the most per capita on medical expenses and we rank at
the bottom of the industrialized world on all health statistics, including
the greatest percentage dissatisfied with their health care.

I also discount Phil's figures for length of time spent in school. My former
wife is Danish and she had ten years of school (no 3-yr.Gymansium), but in
that time she mastered German and English and was a lively conversation
partner in areas such as music, contemporary literature, and philosophy.
She came from a watchmaker's family.

Yes, our students spend a lot of time in school in classes that are
repetitive and not very challenging.  Most of our brightest students are
bored silly.  And encouraging students to go to college when they are not
prepared for it is a gigantic waste of time and money.

Phil:  I found this particular group of comments some of the more
interesting.

First, your Danish spouse lives in a country in which it is quite common to
encounter people who do speak a different language.  The whole country is
about the size of a typical American State.  As a child in Europe, I learned
languages as well, because not to do so left you isolated.  If each American
State had a different language, we would see a lot more language studies
here.

I think that you will find, in areas where we have a higher population of
non-English speakers, that courses in foreign languages are much better
attended.

Second, the popular culture of Europe requires a different cultural learning
which includes many of the areas you mention.

Let me digress for a second though.  A few years ago, I and Chris Storhok
were down at a local watering hole having a lively discussion with some of
your Philosophy doctoral candidates.  I would assume that they would be
folks who were somewhat prepared on a discussion of philosophers, yet when I
mentioned Plutarch and the variations between his ideas of a republic and
those of either Cicero or Plato, I got blank stares.  Finally one of the
kids says, “That guy was a Greek or something wasn’t he?”

So, how did a group of five PhD Philosophy types manage to get through the U
of I programs and miss Plutarch?  If you are worried about high schoolers
not being prepared, heck, what about the guys with the degrees?  Only one of
these guys had ever even heard of Eric Hoffer.

So the Philosophy of education is at root here.  We have a very egalitarian
approach here in America which says that College should be attended by as
many people as possible.  Your Danish ex-wife went to a specialized college
bound High School, so of course she took on more exciting course work than
out average student does here.  We cookie cutter all of our students through
a one size fits all program which leaves some students bored due to lack of
content and other students bored because they see no reason to learn what
they think they will never use.

The kid who wants to be a truck driver or a mechanic in Germany or Denmark
goes to a school that teaches him the things he can use for those
professions.  Here our future truck driver is still expected to at least
make the effort to learn enough for him to attend college.  And he may
indeed attend a year or two of University before embarking on his real
career, because that actual attendance here in the US is worth bucks in his
pocket.

On the other hand, the kids who are intending to be college trained
professionals or to study the liberal arts are dumbed down by their High
School having to tailor the curriculum to students who are not interested in
College preparation.  So neither group of kids gets the education they
desire and most of them show up at your doorstep unprepared for the course
work you want to teach.

But how do you get beyond the American egalitarian ideal, that every kid be
trained in exactly the same way?  How do you get beyond the idea that every
kid should be put through school with college in mind?  And are you prepared
for the shrieks when you tell Mommy and Daddy that little Joey is not
college bound?  For that matter, is the European system also not full of
problems as well?

This should be a continuing discussion and has a lot to do with what Moscow
will be in the future.  Glad to have your thought here Nick and I am
enjoying the dialogue.

Phil Nisbet