[Vision2020] Public Prayer

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 23 02:33:04 PDT 2005

Wayne, Chas, Pat, others,

Me an Pat do not agree on much, but I concur with her
that Wayne is attempting to change the context and
meaning of that chapter and verse in the Bible. I
think he is aware of what is he is doing.

For starters, I am Catholic, and I use a Catholic
Bible, not the one he uses: "Young's Literal
Translation of Bible"--I do not know of anyone that
uses that Bible to be honest, most people I know use
the Book of Mormon, The Catholic Bible (The New
American Bible),the New King James Version (NKJV) or
NIV.

For one, I do not use a literal interpretation of the
Bible, unless the Bible verse was obviously intended
that way. Second, I take the wording and context into
consideration.

The Catholic Bible does not use the exact same wording
as this other Bible that Wayne uses, "If you pray,
pray in private."

It is apparent to anyone who reads the Catholic Bible
the meaning and context of this verse because it is
explained on the side bar of the page. You can also
figure it out by reading the entire chapter, not just
selected snip-its.

In addition, I wish to point out that Wayne stops at
verse seven (7) in this Chapter because in verse nine
(9) Jesus Christ begins with a public prayer, "Our
Father". This directly contradicts Wayne's
interpretation of no praying in public.

Again, this passage was meant to expose the
hypocritical Pharisees who pray for public praise and
not for God. Jesus was not condemning those that come
together for the glory and praise of God. He was
condemning those that pray publicly for praise of his
fellow man. That is not my or Pat's take on the issue,
that is what is says, and any professional Biblical
Scholar or legitimate Priest in a mainstream Christian
domination with affirm this.

So to reiterate what Pat said. Wayne is not a priest
or pastor and has not learned in this issue. To take
his word and comprehension of the Bible over that of
the super majority that are professionals in this
field is illogical and foolish.

Donovan J Arnold

"Even the Devil can quote scripture to suit his
purposes"