[Vision2020] Building and development planning

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 18 16:28:40 PDT 2005

Its a little of both actually.  But the major driver for now is high crude
prices.

There could be a reduction in the price of distillates is newer refineries
were allowed to be developed.  The newer higher performance catalysts are
not as effective in the circa 1950's age plants we have dominating the US
infrastructure.  Its a matter of squeezing more gas out of every barrel of
oil, which of course would lower finished product prices by a margin, but no
where near what the run up in crude prices have done to feedstock costs.

Each 42 gallon barrel of oil turns into about 20 gallons of gasoline, 10
gallons of deisel fuel and home heating oil, four gallons of Jet Fuel and
then 8 gallons of petrochemical feedstocks and lubricants.

So each gallon of feedstock to make a gallon of gasoline is about $1.50 to
which you can add about $0.50 a gallon federal and state taxes, even before
you look at the cost they put into a gallon to make the gasoline from the
crude oil in the refinery.  Thats $10 in tax from the gasoline side from
state and Federal Governments on each barrel of oil, regardless of where
that barrel comes from.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/neic/brochure/oil_gas/primer/primer.htm

Gasoline is the best product for margins the oil companies produce, but only
half a barrel ever becomes gas.  If they could get more gas, bingo, they
could lower prices and most often they do.

Phil Nisbet